aid, assist, assistance, help(noun)
the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
"he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
assistant, helper, help, supporter(noun)
a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
"my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
aid, assistance, help(noun)
"visual aids in teaching"
avail, help, service(verb)
a means of serving
"of no avail"; "there's no help for it"
help, assist, aid(verb)
give help or assistance; be of service
"Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
improve the condition of
"These pills will help the patient"
be of use
"This will help to prevent accidents"
help oneself, help(verb)
abstain from doing; always used with a negative
"I can't help myself--I have to smoke"; "She could not help watching the sad spectacle"
help to some food; help with food or drink
"I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
contribute to the furtherance of
"This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries"
take or use
"She helped herself to some of the office supplies"
improve; change for the better
"New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture"
to furnish with strength or means for the successful performance of any action or the attainment of any object; to aid; to assist; as, to help a man in his work; to help one to remember; -- the following infinitive is commonly used without to; as, "Help me scale yon balcony."
to furnish with the means of deliverance from trouble; as, to help one in distress; to help one out of prison
to furnish with relief, as in pain or disease; to be of avail against; -- sometimes with of before a word designating the pain or disease, and sometimes having such a word for the direct object
to change for the better; to remedy
to prevent; to hinder; as, the evil approaches, and who can help it?
to forbear; to avoid
to wait upon, as the guests at table, by carving and passing food
to lend aid or assistance; to contribute strength or means; to avail or be of use; to assist
strength or means furnished toward promoting an object, or deliverance from difficulty or distress; aid; ^; also, the person or thing furnishing the aid; as, he gave me a help of fifty dollars
remedy; relief; as, there is no help for it
a helper; one hired to help another; also, thew hole force of hired helpers in any business
specifically, a domestic servant, man or woman
Origin: [AS. help; akin to D. hulp, G. hlfe, hilfe, Icel. hjlp, Sw. hjelp, Dan. hielp. See Help, v. t.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
help, v.t. to support: to assist: to mitigate: to give means for doing anything: to provide or supply with: to remedy: to prevent, to keep from.—v.i. to give assistance: to contribute:—pa.p. helped, (B.) hōlp′en.—n. means or strength given to another for a purpose: assistance: relief: one who assists: (Amer.) a hired servant, esp. a domestic.—n. Help′er, one who helps: an assistant.—adj. Help′ful, giving help: useful.—n. Help′fulness.—adj. Help′less, without help or power in one's self: wanting assistance.—adv. Help′lessly.—ns. Help′lessness; Help′mate, an assistant: a partner: a wife—also written Help′meet, from Gen. ii. 18.—Help forward, to assist in making progress; Help off, to aid in disposing or getting rid of; Help on, to forward, to lift up; Help out, to aid in finishing a task, eking out a supply, &c.; Help over, to enable to surmount; Help to, to aid in obtaining for some one; Help up, to raise.—God help him, a phrase implying extreme pity or commiseration.—So help me God, a very strong asseveration, implying the willingness of the speaker to let his chance of salvation depend upon his truthfulness. [A.S. helpan, pa.t. healp, pa.p. holpen; Ice. hjálpa, Ger. helfen, to aid.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'help' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #318
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'help' in Written Corpus Frequency: #389
Rank popularity for the word 'help' in Nouns Frequency: #400
Rank popularity for the word 'help' in Verbs Frequency: #48
The numerical value of help in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of help in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
People who really want help may attack you if you help them. Help them anyway.
Self-help must precede help from others. Even for making certain of help from heaven, one has to help oneself.
But also the help of a social worker in case of precarious financial situations can be a help, since - as our results show - sufficient financial resources may help to relieve secondary stressors.
There's no ending. Because every moment is just the beginning, each a new chapter, strategically placed to take you where you're meant to be, to help you grow, to help you learn, to help you understand and to help you appreciate.
They want to help BHP, they want to help Rio Tinto, they want to help that lady over there, Gina whatever, they are going to continue to help Fortescue Metals Group and they will believe that they will always crush Chinese producers. Big mistake, but it is what it is.
Images & Illustrations of help
Translations for help
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- hulp, helpAfrikaans
- aduya, aduyarAragonese
- مساعدة, ساعد, عاونArabic
- kömək etməkAzerbaijani
- ярҙамсы, ярҙамBashkir
- дапамога, дапамагаць, памагаць, дапамагчы, памагчыBelarusian
- помощ, помогна, помагамBulgarian
- সাহায্য, সাহায্য করাBengali
- ajuda, ajudar, aidarCatalan, Valencian
- nápověda, pomocník, pomocnice, pomoc, pomoct, pomoci, pomáhatCzech
- hjælp, hjælpeDanish
- Hilfe, helfenGerman
- βοήθεια, συντρέχω, βοηθάωGreek
- helpilo, helpisto, helpo, servisto, helpanto, helpiEsperanto
- auxilio, ayuda, socorro, ayudarSpanish
- abi, koduabiline, abiline, abistama, aitama, panustamaEstonian
- laguntzaile, laguntza, lagunduBasque
- کمک, یاری, کمک کردن, یاری کردنPersian
- apuri, apu, opastaa, auttaaFinnish
- aide, auxiliaire, secours, aider, secourirFrench
- help, helpeWestern Frisian
- cuidiú, cúnamh, cabhair, cabhraigh, tug cúnamh, cuidighIrish
- cuidichScottish Gaelic
- axuda, axudarGalician
- עזרה, סיוע, סייע, תרם, עזרHebrew
- सहायता, उपकार, मदद, मदद करनाHindi
- èd, edeHaitian Creole
- segítség, segítHungarian
- օգնական, օգնություն, օգնելArmenian
- adjuta, succurso, succurrer, adjutarInterlingua
- pertolongan, penolong, bantuan, pembantu, membantu, menahan, bantu, menolongIndonesian
- helpo, helparIdo
- aðstoð, hjálparhella, heimilishjálp, hjálp, fulltingi, hjálpaIcelandic
- aiuto, ausilio, aiutareItalian
- 手伝い, 助け, ヘルプ, 手助け, 手伝う, 助けるJapanese
- жәрдем, көмек, ермек ету, көмек көрсету, көмектесу, жәрдем беру, болысуKazakh
- ជំនួយ, ជួយKhmer
- 도움, 돕다Korean
- خزمهتکار, alîkarî, misaede, piştevanî, yarmetî, komekî, destek, یارمهتی, piştgirî, یارمهتی دانKurdish
- көмөк, жардам, көмөк берүү, жардам кылуу, жардам берүү, жардам көрсөтүүKyrgyz
- auxilium, adiuvō, adiūtōLatin
- Hëllef, hëllefenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ຊ່ອຍ, ຊ່ວຽLao
- pagalba, padėtiLithuanian
- palīgs, palīdzība, palīdze, palīdzēt, līdzētLatvian
- помош, помошник, помошничка, помагаMacedonian
- സഹായി, സഹായംMalayalam
- bantuan, pertolongan, bantu, tolongMalay
- ကူညီ, ကူBurmese
- मदत गर्नुNepali
- hulp, helpenDutch
- hjelp, hushjelp, hjelpe til med, hjelpe, hjelpe for, hjelpe til, bidra tilNorwegian
- iilyeedNavajo, Navaho
- aidar, ajudarOccitan
- ӕххуыс кӕнынOssetian, Ossetic
- pomoc domowa, pomoc, pomagaćPolish
- auxílio, criado, ajuda, ajudante, criada, socorro, servente, socorrer, ajudarPortuguese
- güdar, gidar, güderRomansh
- asistență, ajutoare, ajutor, asista, ajutaRomanian
- помощь, помощница, помощник, помочь, помогатьRussian
- agiudai, agiadai, agiuareSardinian
- pȍmōć, pomòćnica, pomòćnīk, по̏мо̄ћ, pòmoći, pomágati, по̀моћи, пома́гатиSerbo-Croatian
- උදව් කරනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- pomoc, pomôcť, pomáhaťSlovak
- pomoč, pomočnik, pomagáč, gospodinjska pomočnica, pomagatiSlovene
- shërbëtor, ndihmes, ndihmë, shërbëtore, asistent, kontriboAlbanian
- hjälp, hjälpaSwedish
- msaada, kusaidiaSwahili
- సాయము, సహాయము, సాయం చేయు, సహాయపడుTelugu
- комак, ёри, кумак кардан, ёри карданTajik
- ความช่วยเหลือ, ช่วยเหลือ, ช่วยThai
- kömek, ýardam, ýardam etmek, kömekleşmekTurkmen
- tulong, tumulong, tulunganTagalog
- yardım, yardımcı, yardım etmekTurkish
- ярдәм, ярдәм күрсәтергә, ярдәм итәргәTatar
- допомога, допомогти, помагати, помогти, допомагатиUkrainian
- مدد, مدد کرناUrdu
- koʻmak, yordam, bermoq, yordamlashmoq, qarashmoq, yordam bermoqUzbek
- hỗ trợ, giúp đỡ, trợ giúp, giúpVietnamese
Get even more translations for help »
Find a translation for the help definition in other languages:
Select another language: