Definitions for hardwareˈhɑrdˌwɛər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word hardware
major items of military weaponry (as tanks or missile)
instrumentalities (tools or implements) made of metal
hardware, computer hardware(noun)
(computer science) the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical components making up a computer system
Any of the physical objects used in carrying out an activity, in contrast to the knowledge, skill, or theory required to perform the activity; mostly used collectively.
Specifically: (Computers) The sum of all the physical objects, such as the electrical, mechanical, and electronic devices which comprise a computer system; as, the typical PC hardware suite consists of a mainboard and a number of peripherals such as hard drives and speakers, connected by adapter cards, but the input and output from users occurs mostly through the keyboard and monitor; contrasted with software, the programs executed by the computer.
Specifically: (Military) The weapons, transport, and other physical objects used in conducting a war.
(Slang) Weapons, especially handguns, carried on the person; as, check your hardware at the door before entering.
Fixtures, equipment, tools and devices used for general-purpose construction and repair of a structure or object. Also such equipment as sold as stock by a store of the same name, e.g. hardware store.
He needed a hammer, nails, screws, nuts, bolts and other assorted hardware, so he went to the hardware store.
The part of a computer that is fixed and cannot be altered without replacement or physical modification; motherboard, expansion cards, etc. Compare software.
ware made of metal, as cutlery, kitchen utensils, and the like; ironmongery
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4441
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4252
Rank popularity for the word 'hardware' in Nouns Frequency: #1790
Translations for hardware
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- maquinariCatalan, Valencian
- hardware, zbraňCzech
- våben, hardware, isenkram, maskinel, udstyr, maskineDanish
- Hardware, EisenwarenGerman
- σιδηρικά, είδη κιγκαλερίας, βαρύς στρατιωτικός εξοπλισμός, ηλεκτρονικός εξοπλισμός, δομικά υλικά, υλισμικό, υλικούGreek
- fierros, hardware, arma de fuegoSpanish
- rautatavara, tuliase, rauta, laitteistoFinnish
- arme à feu, quincaillerie, matérielFrench
- bathar-cruaidhScottish Gaelic
- ハード, ハードウェアJapanese
- 굳은모, 하드웨어Korean
- hardware, ferragensPortuguese
- hardware, dotare tehnică, aparatură, echipament, aparatajRomanian
- оборудование, хардвер, аппаратураRussian
- ڳڻپيوگري, سامگريSindhi
- željezarija, tvrdovlje, sklopovlje, tvrdotvorina, hardver, strojna oprema, čvrstovlje, strojevina, računalna sklopovska podrškaSerbo-Croatian
- hårdvara, maskinvaraSwedish
Get even more translations for hardware »
Find a translation for the hardware definition in other languages:
Select another language: