Definitions for hairyˈhɛər i
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word hairy
hairy, haired, hirsute(adj)
having or covered with hair
"Jacob was a hairy man"; "a hairy caterpillar"
hazardous and frightening
"hairy moments in the mountains"
Of a person, having a lot of hair on the body.
a hairy man
Of an animal, having a lot of fur.
Of a body part other than the head, having hair growing from it.
She is a great admirer of hairy chests.
Difficult, complex, intricate, or intimidating.
Itu2019s a hairy problem, and will probably take several weeks to sort out.
bearing or covered with hair; made of or resembling hair; rough with hair; rough with hair; rough with hair; hirsute
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Annoyingly complicated. “DWIM is incredibly hairy.” 2. Incomprehensible. “DWIM is incredibly hairy.” 3. Of people, high-powered, authoritative, rare, expert, and/or incomprehensible. Hard to explain except in context: “He knows this hairy lawyer who says there's nothing to worry about.” See also hirsute.There is a theorem in simplicial homology theory which states that any continuous tangent field on a 2-sphere is null at least in a point. Mathematically literate hackers tend to associate the term ‘hairy’ with the informal version of this theorem; “You can't comb a hairy ball smooth.” (Previous versions of this entry associating the above informal statement with the Brouwer fixed-point theorem were incorrect.)The adjective ‘long-haired’ is well-attested to have been in slang use among scientists and engineers during the early 1950s; it was equivalent to modern hairy senses 1 and 2, and was very likely ancestral to the hackish use. In fact the noun ‘long-hair’ was at the time used to describe a person satisfying sense 3. Both senses probably passed out of use when long hair was adopted as a signature trait by the 1960s counterculture, leaving hackish hairy as a sort of stunted mutant relic.In British mainstream use, “hairy” means “dangerous”, and consequently, in British programming terms, “hairy” may be used to denote complicated and/or incomprehensible code, but only if that complexity or incomprehesiveness is also considered dangerous.
Translations for hairy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- håret, behåret, loddenDanish
- haarig, pelzartig, behaartGerman
- peludo, velludoSpanish
- poilue, poiluFrench
- molachScottish Gaelic
- թավամազ, մազոտArmenian
- peloso, pelosaItalian
- 毛むくじゃら, 毛深いJapanese
- pilosus, pilosa, pilususLatin
- matains, spalvainsLatvian
- harig, behaardDutch
- peluda, peludoPortuguese
- волосатый, мохнатыйRussian
- pirosu, pilosuSardinian
- kürklü, postlu, kıllıTurkish
Get even more translations for hairy »
Find a translation for the hairy definition in other languages:
Select another language: