Definitions for gourmetgʊərˈmeɪ, ˈgʊər meɪ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word gourmet
epicure, gourmet, gastronome, bon vivant, epicurean, foodie(noun)
a person devoted to refined sensuous enjoyment (especially good food and drink)
A connoisseur in eating and drinking. Also called a foodie, a gourmet is someone who takes their food considerably more seriously than most. Some might say that they live to eat rather than eating to live. They appreciate fine quality of food. Gourmets started the Slow Food movement.
Origin: 1820, from gourmet, from gourmet, from groumet "wine broker, valet in charge of wines, servant" from grommes "manservant", of origin, from grom "boy, valet, servant", of unknown origin, perhaps from * "male child, boy, youth" from growan "to grow". More at groom.
a connoisseur in eating and drinking; an epicure
Gourmet is a cultural ideal associated with the culinary arts of fine food and drink, or haute cuisine, which is characterised by refined, even elaborate preparations and presentations of aesthetically balanced meals of several contrasting, often quite rich courses. The term and its associated practices are usually used positively to describe people of refined taste and passion.
Translations for gourmet
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- Genießer-, Feinschmecker-, Feinschmecker, Genießer, Gourmet, Feinschmeckerin, Feinkost-German
- gastrónomo, goloso, gourmet, sibaritaSpanish
- gurmandi, gurmee, herkkusuu, herkuttelija, gourmetFinnish
- gourmand, gourmet, dégustateur, fine gueule, gourmande, gastronomique, gastronomeFrench
- 食通, 美食家, グルメJapanese
- feinschmecker, gourmet, gastronom, matskjønnerNorwegian
- fijnproever, culinair, gastronome, kenner van de keuken, gastronoom, voor fijnproevers, fijnproefsterDutch
- gastronom, gourmet, finsmakar, matskjønarNorwegian Nynorsk
- гурман, лакомка, гастрономRussian
- finsmakare, matkännare, gastronom, gourmetSwedish
- gurme, tatbilirTurkish
Get even more translations for gourmet »
Find a translation for the gourmet definition in other languages:
Select another language: