Definitions for genealogyˌdʒi niˈɒl ə dʒi, -ˈæl-, ˌdʒɛn i-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word genealogy
genealogy, family tree(noun)
successive generations of kin
the study or investigation of ancestry and family history
The descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or ancestors; lineage or pedigree.
A record or table of such descent; a family tree.
The study, and formal recording of such descents.
Origin: From genealogie (Modern généalogie), from genealogia, from γενεαλογία, from γενεά and -λογία
an account or history of the descent of a person or family from an ancestor; enumeration of ancestors and their children in the natural order of succession; a pedigree
regular descent of a person or family from a progenitor; pedigree; lineage
Genealogy is the study of families and the tracing of their lineages and history. Genealogists use oral traditions, historical records, genetic analysis, and other records to obtain information about a family and to demonstrate kinship and pedigrees of its members. The results are often displayed in charts or written as narratives. The pursuit of family history tends to be shaped by several motivations, including the desire to carve out a place for one's family in the larger historical picture, a sense of responsibility to preserve the past for future generations, and a sense of self-satisfaction in accurate storytelling.
Translations for genealogy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- genealogiaCatalan, Valencian
- Ahnenforschung, Abstammung, Genealogie, AhnentafelGerman
- sukupuu, sukututkimusFinnish
- ættarbók, ættartalFaroese
- ginealach, ginealasIrish
- sloinntearachdScottish Gaelic
- kaji salasilah, genealogiMalay
- kwartierstaat, parenteel, genealogie, stamboom, stamreeks, stamboomonderzoekDutch
- генеалогия, родословие, родословнаяRussian
- rodoslovlje, genealogijaSerbo-Croatian
- släktforskning, stamtavla, härkomst, genealogiSwedish
Get even more translations for genealogy »
Find a translation for the genealogy definition in other languages:
Select another language: