fun, merriment, playfulness(noun)
activities that are enjoyable or amusing
"I do it for the fun of it"; "he is fun to have around"
fun, play, sport(noun)
verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously)
"he became a figure of fun"; "he said it in sport"
violent and excited activity
"she asked for money and then the fun began"; "they began to fight like fun"
a disposition to find (or make) causes for amusement
"her playfulness surprised me"; "he was fun to be with"
amusement, enjoyment or pleasure.
playful, often noisy, activity.
To tease, kid, poke fun at.
Hey, don't get bent out of shape over it; I was just funning you.
This year's fashion style is much more fun than recent seasons.
Origin: From fon, fonne, probably of origin, related to fånig, fåne. Compare also fomme, fume. More at fon.
sport; merriment; frolicsome amusement
Origin: [Perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. & Gael. fonn pleasure.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fun, n. merriment: sport.—Be great fun, to be very amusing; In fun, in joke, not seriously; Like fun (coll.), in a rapid manner; Not to see the fun of, not to take as a joke. [Prob. a form of obs. fon, to befool. Skeat refers to Ir. fonn, delight.]
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
Joy. FUNCTION Devoid of joy. As ye sew, so shall ye rip. G Money makes the mayor go.--_Proverbs of Politics._ GALLON From the Fr. _galonner_, to make tight. Note, one is sufficient.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fun' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3096
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fun' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2040
Rank popularity for the word 'fun' in Nouns Frequency: #1264
Rank popularity for the word 'fun' in Adjectives Frequency: #702
FNU NFU, unf
The numerical value of fun in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of fun in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We go onstage and have fun because, if we’re having fun, the audience has fun.
The wit makes fun of other persons the satirist makes fun of the world the humorist makes fun of himself.
The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself.
The most fun is contention, it's not fun propping up fields. I don't do this to finish 40th and have no excitement. The happiest I am on the course is in contention. I'd rather be that guy.
Fun is fundamental. There is no way around it. You absolutely must have fun. Without fun, there is no enthusiasm. Without enthusiasm, there is no energy. Without energy, there are only shades of gray.
Images & Illustrations of fun
Translations for fun
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- забава, смешен, веселие, забавен, закачам сеBulgarian
- divertitCatalan, Valencian
- legrace, zábavaCzech
- Amüsement, Spaß, Vergnügen, spaßig, lustigGerman
- ŝercado, amuzaEsperanto
- diversión, divertidoSpanish
- kiusoitella, narrata, hauskanpito, hauska, laskea leikkiä, kivaFinnish
- amusant, amusementFrench
- spórt, craic, spraoiIrish
- spòrs, dibhearsanScottish Gaelic
- מהנה, כייפי, כיף, הנאהHebrew
- मज़ा, मस्तीHindi
- szórakoztató, poén, poénos, szórakozás, tréfa, mulatság, élvezetes, móka, mulatozásHungarian
- svago, allegria, divertente, divertimentoItalian
- 遊び, 楽しいJapanese
- 즐거운, 재미있다, 재미Korean
- بۆ ههوهس, ههوهس, رابواردنKurdish
- delicia, lūdusLatin
- flott, Amüsement, SpaassLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- разонода, забава, разоноден, забавенMacedonian
- plezier, lollig, leuk, plezierig, pret, plezantDutch
- zabawa, radość, ubawPolish
- divertido, divertimentoPortuguese
- divertisment, amuzament, distractiv, plăcut, distracție, vesel, plăcereRomanian
- забавный, потеха, забава, веселье, весёлый, развлечение, смешнойRussian
- skoj, rolig, kul, gamman, skojig, lustigSwedish
- masaya, sayaTagalog
- neşeli, eğlenceli, eğlenceTurkish
- потіха, розвага, забаваUkrainian
Get even more translations for fun »
Find a translation for the fun definition in other languages:
Select another language: