Definitions for fryfraɪ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word fry
Fry, Roger Fry, Roger Eliot Fry(noun)
English painter and art critic (1866-1934)
Fry, Christopher Fry(noun)
English dramatist noted for his comic verse dramas (born 1907)
child, kid, youngster, minor, shaver, nipper, small fry, tiddler, tike, tyke, fry, nestling(verb)
a young person of either sex
"she writes books for children"; "they're just kids"; "`tiddler' is a British term for youngster"
be excessively hot
"If the children stay out on the beach for another hour, they'll be fried"
cook on a hot surface using fat
"fry the pancakes"
kill by electrocution, as in the electric chair
"The serial killer was electrocuted"
to cook in a pan or on a griddle (esp. with the use of fat, butter, or olive oil) by heating over a fire; to cook in boiling lard or fat; as, to fry fish; to fry doughnuts
to undergo the process of frying; to be subject to the action of heat in a frying pan, or on a griddle, or in a kettle of hot fat
to simmer; to boil
to undergo or cause a disturbing action accompanied with a sensation of heat
to be agitated; to be greatly moved
the young of any fish
a swarm or crowd, especially of little fishes; young or small things in general
Origin: [OE. frien, F. frire, fr. L. frigere to roast, parch, fry, cf. Gr. , Skr. bhrajj. Cf. Fritter.]
Fry was a Formula Two constructor from the United Kingdom. The team was founded by David Fry and Alec Issigonis, whose previous employer John Parkes at Alvis brought his son Mike Parkes as a development driver. The car, built to Formula 2 specifications, was fitted with a Coventry Climax engine and was constructed with several advanced concepts, featuring a semi-monocoque design, an extreme forward driving position and a shark fin on its rear. The Fry F2 made its début appearance in June 1958 at Brands Hatch, with Parkes finishing its first race sixth at the Crystal Palace circuit. Appearing in a number of Formula Two events throughout 1958 and 1959, the car was entered for the Formula One 1959 British Grand Prix. Parkes did not qualify for the race, setting the 27th fastest time, and the car was not entered for another World Championship Grand Prix. The car participated in several more races, before the final appearance with a second place finish at the Brands Hatch Boxing Day event.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. vi. To fail. Said especially of smoke-producing hardware failures. More generally, to become non-working. Usage: never said of software, only of hardware and humans. See fried, magic smoke. 2. vt. To cause to fail; to roach, toast, or hose a piece of hardware. Never used of software or humans, but compare fried.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This is a truffle fry, it’s like identical.
The city recognizes, however, Officer Fry're in a new world.
Now you have people in social media saying, 'Fry him, glad he's dead,'.
I'm not really sure what the reviewers from France will make of our local restaurants and tze char ['cook and fry'] street food.
If Officer Fry believed his life was in danger, then his fear was unreasonable, [He] should not have taken this young man's life.
Translations for fry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- пържени картофи, дребна рибка, пържа се, пържаBulgarian
- fritadenn, fritezBreton
- aleví, fregirCatalan, Valencian
- kochen, braten, grillenGerman
- τηγανητή πατάτα, γόνος, τηγανίζω, ψαράκια, ψήνομαιGreek
- asarse, freírse, papas fritas, alevín, freír, patatas fritasSpanish
- käristyä, paistua, käristää, paistaa, pikkukalat, sulaa, ranskalaiset perunat, kalanpoikasetFinnish
- frite, frai, frire, faire frireFrench
- praidhig, frith-iasgScottish Gaelic
- friggere, fritto misto, patatine fritte, patata fritta, avannottoItalian
- 炒る, 煎るJapanese
- biraştin, سوور کردنهوه, qelandinKurdish
- шарсан төмс, шарахMongolian
- braden, bakkenDutch
- smażyć się, smażyć, frytkaPolish
- frige, cartofi pai, caracudă, prăji, cartofi prăjiți, peștișorRomanian
- поджарить, малёк, жаритьRussian
- fiskyngel, yngel, stekaSwedish
- వేపుడు, వేపు, వేగుTelugu
- kızarmak, kızartmak, kızartma, yanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for fry »
Find a translation for the fry definition in other languages:
Select another language: