Definitions for fortnightˈfɔrtˌnaɪt, -nɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word fortnight
fortnight, two weeks(noun)
a period of fourteen consecutive days
"most major tennis tournaments last a fortnight"
A period of fourteen nights; two weeks.
After a fortnight has passed.
1852 Charles Dickens, Bleak House: We will proceed with the hearing on Wednesday fortnight.
Origin: Contracted form of feowertyne niht. Compare sennight.
the space of fourteen days; two weeks
A fortnight is a unit of time equal to fourteen days. The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights". Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in Britain, Ireland and many Commonwealth countries such as Australia, India, New Zealand, and Pakistan, where many wages and salaries and most social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis. The word is rarely used in North America, except regionally in Canada and in insular traditional communities in the United States. American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'fortnight' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2043
Rank popularity for the word 'fortnight' in Nouns Frequency: #2363
Translations for fortnight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- две седмициBulgarian
- [[zwei]] [[Wochen]], [[vierzehn]] [[TagGerman
- [[kaksi]] [[viikkoa]]Finnish
- quinzaine, quinze joursFrench
- cola-deugScottish Gaelic
- két hétHungarian
- tvær vikur, hálfur mánuður, fjórtán dagarIcelandic
- ([[periodo]] di) [[due]] [[settimanaItalian
- fjorten dager, to ukerNorwegian
- [[veertien]] [[dagen]], [[twee]] [[weken]]Dutch
- fjortendagar, to veker, fjorten dagarNorwegian Nynorsk
- [[dwa]] [[tygodnie]]Polish
- [[duas]] [[semanas]], [[quatorze]]/[[catorze]] [[dias]]Portuguese
- două săptămâniRomanian
- [[två]] [[veckor]], [[fjorton]] [[dagar]]Swedish
Get even more translations for fortnight »
Find a translation for the fortnight definition in other languages:
Select another language: