Definitions for footprintˈfʊtˌprɪnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word footprint
footprint, footmark, step(noun)
a mark of a foot or shoe on a surface
"the police made casts of the footprints in the soft earth outside the window"
a trace suggesting that something was once present or felt or otherwise important
"the footprints of an earlier civilization"
the area taken up by some object
"the computer had a desktop footprint of 10 by 16 inches"
The impression of the foot in a soft substance such as sand or snow.
Space required by a piece of equipment. Eg: This computer has a smaller footprint.
Amount of hard drive space required for a program.
The audit trail left by a crashed program
Profession or lifestyle, as in...
He is following in his father's footprints.
The surface space occupied by a structure
the footprint of a building.
A company's geographic market presence. Eg. The store, which is slated to open next month, increases the company's footprint in the market to 14 locations.
The ecological impact of a human activity, machine, etc.
My carbon footprint is very high.
Availability of a satellite from the ground
the impression of the foot; a trace or footmark; as, "Footprints of the Creator."
Footprints are the impressions or images left behind by a person walking or running. Hoofprints and pawprints are those left by animals with hooves or paws rather than feet, while "shoeprints" is the specific term for prints made by shoes. They may either be indentations in the ground or something placed onto the surface that was stuck to the bottom of the foot. A "trackway" is set of footprints in soft earth left by a life-form; animal tracks are the footprints, hoofprints, or pawprints of an animal. Footprints can be followed when tracking during a hunt or can provide evidence of activities. Some footprints remain unexplained, with several famous stories from mythology and legend. Others have provided evidence of prehistoric life and behaviours.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. The floor or desk area taken up by a piece of hardware. 2. [IBM] The audit trail (if any) left by a crashed program (often in plural, footprints). See also toeprint. 3. RAM footprint: The minimum amount of RAM which an OS or other program takes; this figure gives one an idea of how much will be left for other applications. How actively this RAM is used is another matter entirely. Recent tendencies to featuritis and software bloat can expand the RAM footprint of an OS to the point of making it nearly unusable in practice. [This problem is, thankfully, limited to operating systems so stupid that they don't do virtual memory -- ESR]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The area on the surface of the earth within a satellite
The numerical value of footprint in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of footprint in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If you have a footprint, be happy, because it means that you aren’t a shadow!
We don't make major footprint decisions based on those types of currency fluctuations.
Russia's presence in the economy has been a huge supporting factor. Its footprint is everywhere from tourism to real estate, so it is worth monitoring the impact.
We certainly have thought more deeply and more thoughtfully about our supply chain footprint and our manufacturing footprint, that's a little bit of a natural hedge that a global company has.
We have found a strange footprint on the shores of the unknown. We have devised profound theories, one after another, to account for its origins. At last, we have succeeded in reconstructing the creature that made the footprint. And lo It is our own.
Images & Illustrations of footprint
Translations for footprint
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أثر قدمArabic
- petjadaCatalan, Valencian
- Grundfläche, Fußstapfen, Standfläche, Stellfläche, Fußabdruck, Profil, Ausleuchtzone, Gehäusegeometrie, Fußspur, AufstandsflächeGerman
- pisada, pasos, huellaSpanish
- رد پاPersian
- [[empreinte]] de [[pied]], empreinteFrench
- làrach coise, làrach spòigScottish Gaelic
- טביעת רגלHebrew
- зона обслуживания, зона покрытия, след, отпечатокRussian
- fotavtryck, fotspårSwedish
- kaplama alanı, ayak iziTurkish
Get even more translations for footprint »
Find a translation for the footprint definition in other languages:
Select another language: