Definitions for footballˈfʊtˌbɔl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word football
football, football game(noun)
any of various games played with a ball (round or oval) in which two teams try to kick or carry or propel the ball into each other's goal
the inflated oblong ball used in playing American football
Something which is treated in a rough manner, usually as part of a dispute; as, a political football.
The game played with a football, by two opposing teams of players moving the ball between goals at opposite ends of a rectangular playing field. Outside the United States football refers to soccer, and in England, also to rugby, but in the United States the shape of the ball and the rules of the game are different. Arbuthnot.
association football: a game in which two teams each contend to get a round ball into the other team's goal primarily by kicking the ball. Known as soccer in the US
Each team scored three goals when they played football.
American football: a game in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
Each team scored two touchdowns when they played football.
Canadian football: a game played on a wide field in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
They played football in the snow.
Australian rules football.
Gaelic football: a field game played with similar rules to hurling, but using hands and feet rather than a stick, and a ball, similar to, yet smaller than a soccer ball.
The ball used in any game called "football".
The player kicked the football.
Practise of these particular games, or techniques used in them.
An item of discussion, particularly in a back-and-forth manner
That budget item became a political football.
The nickname of the leather briefcase containing classified nuclear war plans, which is always near the US President.
Origin: foot + ball; may refer to the act of kicking a ball with the feet, or to the fact that games are played on foot, as opposed to on horseback.
an inflated ball to be kicked in sport, usually made in India rubber, or a bladder incased in Leather
the game of kicking the football by opposing parties of players between goals
Association football, commonly known as football or soccer, is a sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world's most popular sport. The game is played on a rectangular field with a goal at each end. The object of the game is to score by kicking the ball into the opposing goal. The goalkeepers are the only players allowed to touch the ball with their hands or arms while it is in play and then only in their penalty area. Outfield players mostly use their feet to strike or pass the ball, but may use their head to strike the ball instead. The team that scores the most goals by the end of the match wins. If the score is tied at the end of the game, either a draw is declared or the game goes into extra time and/or a penalty shootout depending on the format of the competition. The Laws of the Game were originally codified in England by The Football Association in 1863. Association football is governed internationally by the International Federation of Association Football which organises a World Cup every four years.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
A competitive team sport played on a rectangular field. This is the American or Canadian version of the game and also includes the form known as rugby. It does not include non-North American football (= SOCCER).
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A clever subterfuge for carrying on prize-fights under the guise of a reputable game.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'football' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1670
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'football' in Written Corpus Frequency: #970
Rank popularity for the word 'football' in Nouns Frequency: #696
Images & Illustrations of football
Translations for football
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- እግር ኳስAmharic
- كرة القدم, كرة القدم الأمريكيةArabic
- американски футбол, футболBulgarian
- futbol, futbol americà, pilota, pilota de futbolCatalan, Valencian
- fotbal, americký fotbal, kopaná, míč, fotbalový míč, australský fotbalCzech
- rugby, fodbold, australsk fodbold, fodboldspil, amerikansk fodboldDanish
- Fußball, American Football, FussballGerman
- αμερικανικό ποδόσφαιρο, μπάλα ποδοφαίρου, ποδόσφαιροGreek
- piedpilkado, kanada piedpilko, futbalo, futbalpilko, usona piedpilko, usona futbalo, kanada futbaloEsperanto
- fútbol, balompié, fútbol americano, futbol estadounidense, pambolSpanish
- ameerika jalgpall, jalgpallEstonian
- amerikkalainen jalkapallo, jalkapallo, australialainen jalkapallo, jenkkifutisFinnish
- amerikanskur fótbóltur, fótbóltur, avstralskur fótbóltur, kanadiskur fótbólturFaroese
- football, ballon, ballon de foot, football canadien, rugby à XIII, foot, football américain, football australien, soccerFrench
- fuotbal, Rugby, Kanadeesk rugby, fuotbalje, balWestern Frisian
- sacar, peilIrish
- ball-coiseScottish Gaelic
- פוטבול אמריקאי, כַּדּוּרֶגֶלHebrew
- फुटबॉल, फ़ुटबॉल, फ़ुटबालHindi
- futball, amerikai foci, labdarúgás, focilabda, fociHungarian
- ամերիկյան ֆուտբոլ, ֆուտբոլ, կանադական ֆուտբոլ, ավստրալական ֆուտբոլ, ֆուտբոլի գնդակArmenian
- sepak bolaIndonesian
- football americano, pallone da calcio, calcio, palla, palla da calcio, palloneItalian
- アメリカンフットボール, 蹴球, サッカー, フットボールJapanese
- 蹴球, 축구공, 미식축구, 축구Korean
- FoussballLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- futbols, amerikāņu futbolsLatvian
- фудбал, рагби, фудбалска топка, канадски фудбал, американски фудбал, австралиски фудбалMacedonian
- bola sepak, bola sepak AmerikaMalay
- ballun, futbol Kanadiż, futbol Amerikan, futbolMaltese
- voetballen, voetbal, rugby, American footballDutch
- amerikansk fotball, fotballNorwegian
- jooł yitalí, jooł, jooł nabíznítaałíNavajo, Navaho
- piłka nożna, futbol, futbol amerykański, futbol kanadyjskiPolish
- [[bola]] [[de]] [[futebol]], futebol americano, futebolPortuguese
- австралийский футбол, канадский футбол, американский футбол, футбол, футбольный мячRussian
- амерички фудбал, ногометна лопта, ногомет, američki nogomet, фудбал, fudbal, nogomet, nogometna loptaSerbo-Croatian
- americký futbal, futbalová lopta, kanadský futbal, futbalSlovak
- nogometna žoga, ameriški nogomet, nogometSlovene
- kubada cagtaSomali
- amerikansk fotboll, fotbollSwedish
- อเมริกันฟุตบอล, ฟุตบอลThai
- ኩእሶ እግሪTigrinya
- ayak topu, futbol, futbol topu, Amerikan futboluTurkish
- американський футбол, копаний м’яч, канадський футбол, сокер, канадійський футбол, футболUkrainian
- فٹ بالUrdu
- bóng đáVietnamese
Get even more translations for football »
Find a translation for the football definition in other languages:
Select another language: