Definitions for foolishˈfu lɪʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word foolish
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
resulting from or showing a lack of sense.
lacking forethought or caution.
insignificant or paltry.
* Syn: foolish , fatuous , inane imply weakness of intellect and lack of judgment. foolish implies lack of common sense or good judgment or, sometimes, weakness of mind: a foolish decision; a foolish child. fatuous implies being not only foolish, dull, and vacant in mind, but complacent and highly self-satisfied as well: a fatuous grin. inane suggests a lack of content, meaning, or purpose: inane conversation about the weather.
Origin of foolish:
devoid of good sense or judgment
"foolish remarks"; "a foolish decision"
anserine, dopy, dopey, foolish, goosey, goosy, gooselike, jerky(adj)
having or revealing stupidity
"ridiculous anserine behavior"; "a dopey answer"; "a dopey kid"; "some fool idea about rewriting authors' books"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
not sensible or wise
Don't be foolish - it's too dangerous.; foolish behavior; I foolishly accepted her challenge.; This foolishness must stop!
lacking good sense or judgement; unwise
Resembling or characteristic of a fool.
Being foolish once in a while does not make one a foolish person.
marked with, or exhibiting, folly; void of understanding; weak in intellect; without judgment or discretion; silly; unwise
such as a fool would do; proceeding from weakness of mind or silliness; exhibiting a want of judgment or discretion; as, a foolish act
absurd; ridiculous; despicable; contemptible
"Foolish" is the debut song by American R&B singer Ashanti from her debut album. It was written by Ashanti, 7 Aurelius, M. DeBarge and producer Irv Gotti. It uses a sample of DeBarge's "Stay with Me" and features elements from "One More Chance" by The Notorious B.I.G. and M.V.P by Big L. The song was released as the album's lead single on January 29, 2002, It spent ten weeks at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 and U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Songs chart. The song became Ashanti's second number-one and third top ten on both charts. The song was in the top ten in United Kingdom, Australian and New Zealand, Canada, Germany and Japan . In 2009, it was named the 19th most successful song of the 2000s, on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Decade. As of June 2012, it is the third best selling physical single of the 21st Century. It sold over 7.2 million copies to date.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'foolish' in Adjectives Frequency: #937
Translations for foolish
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
having no sense
He is a foolish young man.
- dwaas; onverstandigeAfrikaans
- toloPortuguese (BR)
- étourdi, stupideFrench
- budalast, neozbiljanCroatian
- 분별이 없는Korean
- fjollet, tosket, skrullet, dumNorwegian
- głupi, niemądryPolish
- بې عقل، بې ادبه، جاهل، بېړاPashto
- fără minte; absurdRomanian
- dåraktig, dumSwedish
- 愚蠢的Chinese (Trad.)
- дурний; безглуздийUkrainian
- بے وقوفUrdu
- dại dột; ngớ ngẩnVietnamese
- 愚蠢的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for foolish »
Find a translation for the foolish definition in other languages:
Select another language: