feign, sham, pretend, affect, dissemble(verb)
make believe with the intent to deceive
"He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"
simulate, assume, sham, feign(verb)
make a pretence of
"She assumed indifference, even though she was seething with anger"; "he feigned sleep"
To represent by a false appearance of; to pretend; to counterfeit.
The pupil feigned sickness on the day of his exam.
To give a mental existence to something that is not real or actual; to imagine; to invent; to pretend; to form and relate as if true.
He feigned that he had gone home at the appointed time.
To dissemble; to conceal.
Jessica feigned the fact that she had not done her homework.
Origin: feindre, from fingere.
to give a mental existence to, as to something not real or actual; to imagine; to invent; hence, to pretend; to form and relate as if true
to represent by a false appearance of; to pretend; to counterfeit; as, to feign a sickness
to dissemble; to conceal
Origin: [OE. feinen, F. feindre (p. pr. feignant), fr. L. fingere; akin to L. figura figure,and E. dough. See Dough, and cf. Figure, Faint, Effigy, Fiction.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fān, v.t. to invent: to imagine: to make a show or pretence of, to counterfeit, simulate.—adj. Feigned, pretended: simulating.—adv. Feign′edly.—ns. Feign′edness; Feign′ing. [Fr. feindre, pr.p. feignant, to feign.—L. fingĕre, fictum, to form.]
The numerical value of feign in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of feign in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Images & Illustrations of feign
Translations for feign
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- измислям, симулирам, преструвам се, заблуждавамBulgarian
- fingirCatalan, Valencian
- verbergen, vormachen, fingieren, vorgeben, vortäuschen, ausdenken, verheimlichenGerman
- fingir, inventar, imaginarSpanish
- teeskennellä, peitellä, salataFinnish
- leig airScottish Gaelic
- dissimulare, bluffare, fingereItalian
- 見せ掛ける, 装うJapanese
- verbergen, voorwenden, inbeelden, verzwijgen, fingeren, veinzenDutch
- simulere, spilleNorwegian
- fingir, omitir, inventarPortuguese
- притворяться, выдумывать, прикидываться, симулировать, скрывать, прятатьRussian
Get even more translations for feign »
Find a translation for the feign definition in other languages:
Select another language: