Definitions for fanaticfəˈnæt ɪk
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word fanatic
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics; zealot.
* Syn: fanatic , zealot , devotee refer to persons showing more than ordinary enthusiasm or support for a cause, belief, or activity. fanatic and zealot both suggest extreme or excessive devotion. fanatic further implies unbalanced or obsessive behavior: a wild-eyed fanatic. zealot , slightly less unfavorable in implication, implies single-minded partisanship: a tireless zealot for tax reform. devotee is a milder term, suggesting enthusiasm but not to the exclusion of other interests or possible points of view: a devotee of baseball.
Origin of fanatic:
1515–25; < L fānāticus pertaining to a temple, der. of fānum temple
a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause)
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill
fanatic, fanatical, overzealous, rabid(adj)
marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
sb who has strong interest in sth
a football fanatic
sb who has extreme or dangerous beliefs
A person who is zealously enthusiastic for some cause, especially in religion.
Showing evidence of possession by a god or demon; frenzied, over-zealous.
Origin: First attested in 1525. From fanaticus, from fanum. Influenced by fanatique.
pertaining to, or indicating, fanaticism; extravagant in opinions; ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects; as, fanatic zeal; fanatic notions
a person affected by excessive enthusiasm, particularly on religious subjects; one who indulges wild and extravagant notions of religion
FANatic is an American TV show that was shown on the MTV network in the late 1990s. It featured everyday people being tricked into going somewhere and unexpectedly meeting their idol.
Translations for fanatic
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a person who is (too) enthusiastic about something
a religious fanatic.
- fanatikus, dweper, yweraarAfrikaans
- مُتَعَصِّب، مُتَحَمِّسArabic
- fanáticoPortuguese (BR)
- der FanatikerGerman
- آدم متعصبFarsi
- अति उत्साहीHindi
- fanatik, revan pristašaCroatian
- ofstækismaður, öfgamaðurIcelandic
- fanatiker,–idiot, svermerNorwegian
- آدم متعصبPersian
- توغمه ناك، متعصب، ټينګ (لكه پرمذهبPashto
- fanatik, navdušenecSlovenian
- fanatic, bağnazTurkish
- 狂熱者Chinese (Trad.)
- شدت پسندUrdu
- người cuồng tínVietnamese
- 狂热者，盲信者，...入迷者Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for fanatic »
Find a translation for the fanatic definition in other languages:
Select another language: