Definitions for extrasensory perception
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word extrasensory perception
clairvoyance, second sight, extrasensory perception, E.S.P., ESP(noun)
apparent power to perceive things that are not present to the senses
the ability to perceive or gain information about external facts or events by means other than the senses. the existence of such an ability, as well as other parapsychologial phenomena, is widely disbelieved among scientists, and no demonstration of the phenomenon satisfyng rigorous standards of scientific proof has been reported.
The supposed ability to obtain information without the use of normal sensory channels.
Extrasensory perception involves reception of information not gained through the recognized physical senses but sensed with the mind. The term was adopted by Duke University psychologist J. B. Rhine to denote psychic abilities such as telepathy, clairaudience, and clairvoyance, and their trans-temporal operation as precognition or retrocognition. ESP is also sometimes referred to as a sixth sense. The term implies acquisition of information by means external to the basic limiting assumptions of science, such as that organisms can only receive information from the past to the present. Parapsychology is the study of paranormal psychic phenomena, including ESP. Parapsychologists generally regard such tests as the ganzfeld experiment as providing compelling evidence for the existence of ESP. The scientific community rejects ESP due to the absence of an evidence base, the lack of a theory which would explain ESP, the lack of experimental techniques which can provide reliably positive results, and considers ESP a pseudoscience.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Intuition comes very close to clairvoyance; it appears to be the extrasensory perception of reality.
Translations for extrasensory perception
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- percepció extrasensorialCatalan, Valencian
- mimosmyslové vnímáníCzech
- extra-sensorisk perceptionDanish
- außersinnliche Wahrnehmung, ASWGerman
- εξωαισθητηριακή αντίληψη, ΕΕΑGreek
- percepción extrasensorial, sexto sentidoSpanish
- meelteväline tajuEstonian
- yliaistinen havaitseminenFinnish
- PES, perceptions extra-sensoriellesFrench
- תפיסה על-חושיתHebrew
- ESP, sesto senso, percezione extrasensorialeItalian
- 초감각적 지각Korean
- ആറാം ഇന്ദ്രിയംMalayalam
- buitenzintuiglijke waarnemingDutch
- ekstrasensorisk persepsjonNorwegian
- postrzeganie pozazmysłowePolish
- percepção extrassensorial, PESPortuguese
- экстрасенсорное восприятие, внечувственное восприятиеRussian
- ESP, mimozmyslové vnímanieSlovak
- extrasensorisk perceptionSwedish
- duyular-dışı algılama, duyular-dışı idrak, DDA, DDİTurkish
- екстрасенсорне сприйняттяUkrainian
Get even more translations for extrasensory perception »
Find a translation for the extrasensory perception definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these extrasensory perception definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"extrasensory perception." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2016. Web. 14 Feb. 2016. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/extrasensory perception>.