Definitions for expressɪkˈsprɛs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word express
express, express mail(noun)
mail that is distributed by a rapid and efficient system
public transport consisting of a fast train or bus that makes only a few scheduled stops
"he caught the express to New York"
rapid transport of goods
not tacit or implied
"her express wish"
without unnecessary stops
"an express train"; "an express shipment"
express, show, evince(verb)
give expression to
"She showed her disappointment"
express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to(verb)
articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise
"She expressed her anger"; "He uttered a curse"
carry, convey, express(verb)
serve as a means for expressing something
"The painting of Mary carries motherly love"; "His voice carried a lot of anger"
indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.
"Can you express this distance in kilometers?"
manifest the effects of (a gene or genetic trait)
"Many of the laboratory animals express the trait"
press out, express, extract(verb)
obtain from a substance, as by mechanical action
"Italians express coffee rather than filter it"
send by rapid transport or special messenger service
"She expressed the letter to Florida"
"please send the letter express"
exactly representing; exact
directly and distinctly stated; declared in terms; not implied or left to inference; made unambiguous by intention and care; clear; not dubious; as, express consent; an express statement
intended for a particular purpose; relating to an express; sent on a particular errand; dispatched with special speed; as, an express messenger or train. Also used adverbially
a clear image or representation; an expression; a plain declaration
a messenger sent on a special errand; a courier; hence, a regular and fast conveyance; commonly, a company or system for the prompt and safe transportation of merchandise or parcels; also, a railway train for transporting passengers or goods with speed and punctuality
an express office
that which is sent by an express messenger or message
to press or squeeze out; as, to express the juice of grapes, or of apples; hence, to extort; to elicit
to make or offer a representation of; to show by a copy or likeness; to represent; to resemble
to give a true impression of; to represent and make known; to manifest plainly; to show in general; to exhibit, as an opinion or feeling, by a look, gesture, and esp. by language; to declare; to utter; to tell
to make known the opinions or feelings of; to declare what is in the mind of; to show (one's self); to cause to appear; -- used reflexively
to denote; to designate
to send by express messenger; to forward by special opportunity, or through the medium of an express; as, to express a package
EXPRESS is an American fashion retailer addressed for young women and men headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and New York, New York. Express operates over 600 stores in the United States and generates $1.8 billion in annual sales.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'express' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3156
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'express' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3629
Rank popularity for the word 'express' in Nouns Frequency: #2892
Rank popularity for the word 'express' in Verbs Frequency: #184
Translations for express
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- вы́казаць, выка́звацьBelarusian
- изразя, изричен, експресен, точен, експрес, изстисквам, изразявам, бързBulgarian
- expressarCatalan, Valencian
- vyjadřovat, výslovný, vyjádřitCzech
- ausdrücken, äußern, ausdrücklichGerman
- expresar, exprimirSpanish
- yksikäsitteinen, pika-, pikavuoro, pikajuna, erittää, ilmaista, ilmeinenFinnish
- kijelent, kisajtol, kifejez, expressz, kimond, kicsavar, kinyomHungarian
- esprimere, espressoItalian
- 快速, 明確, 特別, 表す, 急行, 述べる, 表現, 明白Japanese
- izteikt, izsacīt, izpaustLatvian
- whakawhetē, whakatēMāori
- изразува, изразиMacedonian
- gedetailleerd, snel, uitdrukkenDutch
- wyrazić, wyrażaćPolish
- espremer, expresso, extrair, expressarPortuguese
- tren expres, exprese, expresRomanian
- выража́ть, экспресс, вы́разитьRussian
- изражавати, izraziti, izražavati, изразитиSerbo-Croatian
- vyjadriť, vyjadrovaťSlovak
- izraziti, izražatiSlovene
- uttrycklig, express, uttryckaSwedish
- ви́разити, виража́тиUkrainian
- biểu hiệnVietnamese
- fé tchitchî, fé brotchî foûWalloon
Get even more translations for express »
Find a translation for the express definition in other languages:
Select another language: