Definitions for exemptionɪgˈzɛmp ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word exemption
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the circumstances of a taxpayer, as age or number of dependents, that permit certain deductions to be made from taxable income.
the act of exempting.
the state of being exempted; immunity.
* Syn: exemption , immunity , impunity imply special privilege or freedom from requirements imposed on others. exemption implies release or privileged freedom from sharing with others some duty or legal requirement: exemption from military service. immunity implies freedom from a penalty or from some natural or common liability, esp. one that is disagreeable or threatening: immunity from prosecution; immunity from disease. impunity (limited mainly to the expression with impunity) suggests freedom from punishment: The police force was so inadequate that crimes could be committed with impunity.
Origin of exemption:
1400–50; < L
immunity from an obligation or duty
a deduction allowed to a taxpayer because of his status (having certain dependents or being blind or being over 65 etc.)
"additional exemptions are allowed for each dependent"
exemption, immunity, granting immunity(noun)
an act exempting someone
"he was granted immunity from prosecution"
An act of exempting.
The state of being exempt; immunity.
A deduction from the normal amount of taxes.
Freedom from a defect or weakness.
Origin: From Old and modern French exemption, or from exemptio, from eximere
the act of exempting; the state of being exempt; freedom from any charge, burden, evil, etc., to which others are subject; immunity; privilege; as, exemption of certain articles from seizure; exemption from military service; exemption from anxiety, suffering, etc
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'exemption' in Nouns Frequency: #2557
Translations for exemption
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
- isençãoPortuguese (BR)
- die BefreiungGerman
- atbrīvošana (no nodokļiem, saistībām u.tml.)Latvian
- dispensasjon, fritak(else)Norwegian
- zwolnienie (z czegoś)Polish
- освобождение (от чего-л.)Russian
- oslobodenie (od)Slovak
- frikallande, undantag, dispensSwedish
- ความเป็นอิสระจากกฎข้อบังคับ; ผู้ที่ได้รับการยกเว้นภาษีThai
- 免除Chinese (Trad.)
- sự miễnVietnamese
- 免除Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for exemption »
Find a translation for the exemption definition in other languages:
Select another language: