Definitions for essentialəˈsɛn ʃəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word essential
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
absolutely necessary; indispensable.
pertaining to or constituting the essence of a thing.
noting or containing an essence of a plant, drug, etc.
being such by its very nature or in the highest sense; natural; spontaneous:
not associated with an underlying disease:
(n.)a basic, indispensable, or necessary element; chief point.
* Syn: essential , inherent , intrinsic refer to that which is in the natural composition of a thing. essential suggests that which is in the very essence or constitution of a thing: Quiet is essential in a public library.inherent means inborn or fixed from the beginning as a permanent quality or constituent of a thing: properties inherent in iron.intrinsic implies belonging to the nature of a thing itself and comprised within it, without regard to external considerations or accidentally added properties: the intrinsic value of diamonds. See also necessary.
Origin of essential:
1300–50; ME essencial < ML essenciālis, for LL essentiālis
necessity, essential, requirement, requisite, necessary(adj)
"food and shelter are necessities of life"; "the essentials of the good life"; "allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions"; "a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained"
absolutely necessary; vitally necessary
"essential tools and materials"; "funds essential to the completion of the project"; "an indispensable worker"
basic and fundamental
"the essential feature"
all-important(a), all important(p), crucial, essential, of the essence(p)(adj)
of the greatest importance
"the all-important subject of disarmament"; "crucial information"; "in chess cool nerves are of the essence"
being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc
defining rights and duties as opposed to giving the rules by which rights and duties are established
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
necessary, or very important; = vital
the essential items you need for a week of camping; Water is essential to life.; It is essential that everyone stays calm.; It is essential to add the ingredients in this order.
most basic and central; = basic, fundamental
The essential problem is a lack of good nutrition.
A necessary ingredient.
A fundamental ingredient.
Very important; of high importance.
Being in the basic form; showing its essence.
Donu2019t mind him being grumpy. Thatu2019s the essential Fred.
Such that each complementary region is irreducible, the boundary of each complementary region is incompressible by disks and monogons in the complementary region, and no leaf is a sphere or a torus bounding a solid torus in the manifold.
Origin: From essentialis, from essentia.
belonging to the essence, or that which makes an object, or class of objects, what it is
hence, really existing; existent
important in the highest degree; indispensable to the attainment of an object; indispensably necessary
containing the essence or characteristic portion of a substance, as of a plant; highly rectified; pure; hence, unmixed; as, an essential oil
necessary; indispensable; -- said of those tones which constitute a chord, in distinction from ornamental or passing tones
idiopathic; independent of other diseases
Essential is a 1991 collection of hits by The Divinyls.
Translations for essential
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
Strong boots are essential for mountaineering; It is essential that you arrive punctually.
- جَوْهَري، أساسيArabic
- essencialPortuguese (BR)
- nødvendig; afgørende; essentielDanish
- ουσιώδης, απαραίτητοςGreek
- esencial, imprescindibleSpanish
- bitan, vrlo važanCroatian
- 절대 필요한Korean
- būtisks; nepieciešamsLatvian
- volstrekt noodzakelijkDutch
- absolutt nødvendig, livsviktigNorwegian
- ضرورى، اصلى، اساسى،Pashto
- necesar, esenţialRomanian
- nödvändig, oumbärligSwedish
- 必要的Chinese (Trad.)
- істотний; невід'ємнийUkrainian
- نہایت ضروریUrdu
- thiết yếuVietnamese
- 根本的，基本的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for essential »
Find a translation for the essential definition in other languages:
Select another language: