Definitions for epitomeɪˈpɪt ə mi
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word epitome
prototype, paradigm, epitome, image(noun)
a standard or typical example
"he is the prototype of good breeding"; "he provided America with an image of the good father"
a brief abstract (as of an article or book)
The embodiment or encapsulation of.
A representative example.
The height; the best.
A brief summary.
a work in which the contents of a former work are reduced within a smaller space by curtailment and condensation; a brief summary; an abridgement
a compact or condensed representation of anything
An epitome is a summary or miniature form; an instance that represents a larger reality, also used as a synonym for embodiment. Epitomacy represents, "to the degree of." Many documents from the Ancient Greek and Roman worlds survive now only "in epitome", referring to the practice of some later authors who wrote distilled versions of larger works now lost. Some writers attempted to convey the stance and spirit of the original, while others added further details or anecdotes regarding the general subject. As with all secondary historical sources, a different bias not present in the original may creep in. Documents surviving in epitome differ from those surviving only as fragments quoted in later works, and those used as unacknowledged sources by later scholars, as they can stand as discrete documents, albeit refracted through the views of another author. Epitomes of a kind are still produced today, when dealing with a corpus of literature, especially those classical works which are often considered dense and unwieldy, and unlikely to be read by the average person, in order to make them more accessible: some of these are more along the lines of abridgments, such as many which have been written of Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, a work of eight large volumes, often published as one volume of about 1200 pages.
Translations for epitome
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- резюме, въплъщениеBulgarian
- Abriss, VerkörperlichungGerman
- epítome, resumen, sinopsisSpanish
- malliesimerkki, ruumiillistuma, yhteenveto, tiivistelmä, abstraktiFinnish
- épitomé, résumé, abrégéFrench
- compendio, incarnazione, sommario, epitome, personificazione, sinossi, apice, suntoItalian
- uittreksel, personificatie, verwezenlijking, toppunt, samenvatting, excerpt, synopsis, belichamingDutch
- олицетворение, воплощение, конспект, резюмеRussian
- епитом, sinopsis, оваплоћење, утјеловљење, epitom, ovaploćenje, personifikacija, персонификација, utjelovljenjeSerbo-Croatian
- personifiering, personifiera, inbegrepp, inkarnation, sammandragSwedish
Get even more translations for epitome »
Find a translation for the epitome definition in other languages:
Select another language: