Definitions for ennuiɑnˈwi
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ennui
boredom, ennui, tedium(noun)
the feeling of being bored by something tedious
A gripping listlessness or melancholia caused by boredom; depression.
Origin: * From ennui, from enui, from enuier (see ennuyer and annoy), from inodiare, from odium
a feeling of weariness and disgust; dullness and languor of spirits, arising from satiety or want of interest; tedium
Origin: [F., fr. L. in odio in hatred. See Annoy.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The fourth dimension of action. 2. The looking-glass of the Infinite. 3. A state of time wherein seconds become days and hours become years. 4. A shop that contains nothing but a silent salesman, Death.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There are three cures for ennui: sleep, drink and travel.
Life is islands of ecstasy in an ocean of ennui, and after the age of thirty land is seldom seen.
Family dinners are more often than not an ordeal of nervous indigestion, preceded by hidden resentment and ennui and accompanied by psychosomatic jitters.
The failure of the mind in old age is often less the results of natural decay, than of disuse. Ambition has ceased to operate; contentment bring indolence, and indolence decay of mental power, ennui, and sometimes death. Men have been known to die, literally speaking, of disease induced by intellectual vacancy.
Poesy is a beauteous damsel, chaste, honourable, discreet, witty, retired, and who keeps herself within the limits of propriety. She is a friend of solitude; fountains entertain her, meadows console her, woods free her from ennui, flowers delight her; in short, she gives pleasure and instruction to all with whom she communicates.
Images & Illustrations of ennui
Translations for ennui
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- Langeweile, Apathie, Melancholie, DepressionGerman
- apatía, melancolíaSpanish
- ikävä, ikävystyminenFinnish
- mélancolie, indolence, dépression, apathieFrench
- unalom, kedvtelenség, közönyHungarian
- perasaan bosanIndonesian
- lífsleiði, óyndiIcelandic
- 無聊, つれづれ, もの憂さ, アンニュイ, 憂鬱Japanese
- lusteloosheid, vervelingDutch
- тоска, скука, хандраRussian
Get even more translations for ennui »
Find a translation for the ennui definition in other languages:
Select another language: