Definitions for endɛnd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word end
either extremity of something that has length
"the end of the pier"; "she knotted the end of the thread"; "they rode to the end of the line"; "the terminals of the anterior arches of the fornix"
the point in time at which something ends
"the end of the year"; "the ending of warranty period"
end, last, final stage(noun)
the concluding parts of an event or occurrence
"the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie"
the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it
"the ends justify the means"
a final part or section
"we have given it at the end of the section since it involves the calculus"; "Start at the beginning and go on until you come to the end"
end, destruction, death(noun)
a final state
"he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
the surface at either extremity of a three-dimensional object
"one end of the box was marked `This side up'"
(football) the person who plays at one end of the line of scrimmage
"the end managed to hold onto the pass"
a boundary marking the extremities of something
"the end of town"
one of two places from which people are communicating to each other
"the phone rang at the other end"; "both ends wrote at the same time"
the part you are expected to play
"he held up his end"
conclusion, end, close, closing, ending(noun)
the last section of a communication
"in conclusion I want to say..."
end, remainder, remnant, oddment(noun)
a piece of cloth that is left over after the rest has been used or sold
(American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
"no one wanted to play end"
end, stop, finish, terminate, cease(verb)
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
bring to an end or halt
"She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime"; "The attack on Poland terminated the relatively peaceful period after WW I"
be the end of; be the last or concluding part of
"This sad scene ended the movie"
put an end to
"The terrible news ended our hopes that he had survived"
A key that when pressed causes the cursor to go to the last character of the current line.
Origin: From enden, endien, from endian, from andiōnan, from ant-. Cognate with einden, enden, enda.
the extreme or last point or part of any material thing considered lengthwise (the extremity of breadth being side); hence, extremity, in general; the concluding part; termination; close; limit; as, the end of a field, line, pole, road; the end of a year, of a discourse; put an end to pain; -- opposed to beginning, when used of anything having a first part
point beyond which no procession can be made; conclusion; issue; result, whether successful or otherwise; conclusive event; consequence
termination of being; death; destruction; extermination; also, cause of death or destruction
the object aimed at in any effort considered as the close and effect of exertion; ppurpose; intention; aim; as, to labor for private or public ends
that which is left; a remnant; a fragment; a scrap; as, odds and ends
one of the yarns of the worsted warp in a Brussels carpet
to bring to an end or conclusion; to finish; to close; to terminate; as, to end a speech
to form or be at the end of; as, the letter k ends the word back
to destroy; to put to death
to come to the ultimate point; to be finished; to come to a close; to cease; to terminate; as, a voyage ends; life ends; winter ends
An end in American football is a player who lines up at either end of the line of scrimmage. Rules state that a legal offensive formation must always consist of seven players on the line of scrimmage. An end who lines up close to the offensive line is known as a tight end, while one who lines up some distance from the offensive line is known as a split end. In recent years, the generic term wide receiver has come to define both split ends and flankers. The terms “split end” and “flanker” are no longer in common usage. There is a commonly used position on the defense called the defensive end. However, as there are no rules regulating the formation of the defense, players at this position commonly take on and share multiple roles with other positions in different defensive schemes. Before the advent of two platoons, in which teams fielded distinct defensive and offensive units, players that lined up on the ends of the line on both offense and defense were referred to simply as "ends".
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'end' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #201
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'end' in Written Corpus Frequency: #244
Rank popularity for the word 'end' in Nouns Frequency: #33
Rank popularity for the word 'end' in Verbs Frequency: #141
Translations for end
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- نِهاية, أنهى, انتهي, فرغ, أتممArabic
- край, кане́ц, канча́ць, зака́нчваць, ско́нчыцьBelarusian
- смърт, край, приключвам, завършвамBulgarian
- diwezh, echuiñBreton
- fi, final, acabarCatalan, Valencian
- smrt, konec, končit, dokončit, dokončovatCzech
- afslutning, endeDanish
- Tod, Schluss, Ende, beenden, endenGerman
- άκρο, σκοπός, λήξη, τέλος, τέρμα, πέρας, άκρη, τελειώνω, λήγωGreek
- muerte, fin, terminar, acabar, finalizar, finirSpanish
- lõpp, lõppema, lõpetamaEstonian
- پایان, آخر, انتها, تمام کردن, تمام شدنPersian
- loppu, pää, lopettaa, loppuaFinnish
- extrémité, fin, bout, terminer, finirFrench
- einWestern Frisian
- eàrrScottish Gaelic
- קצה, סוף, נגמרHebrew
- अंत, अंत करना, ख़त्म करना, ख़त्म होनाHindi
- vég, befejeződikHungarian
- ծայր, վերջ, վերջացնել, վերջանալArmenian
- ujung, akhir, habis, selesai, tamatIndonesian
- fino, finarIdo
- fine, finireItalian
- 終了, 端, 最期, 結果, 到達点, 最後, 結末, 終わり, 終い, ご臨終, 終える, 終う, 終わるJapanese
- ბოლოს, დამთავრება, მორჩენაGeorgian
- 끝, 끝내다, 완성하다, 끝나다, 종료하다Korean
- dawî, kutahî, xilasî, dûmahî, talî, qedandin, bi dawî anîn, bi dawî hatin, qedînKurdish
- finis, extremum, extremus, finalitas, exitus, peractio, terminus, finior, termino, finem habeo, finio, terminorLatin
- EnnLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- galas, pabaigaLithuanian
- gals, beigasLatvian
- цел, крај, смрт, свр́ши, за́врши, завршиMacedonian
- tmiem, għeluqMaltese
- einde, uiteinde, einden, beëindigen, ophouden, eindigenDutch
- slutt, ende, terminere, avslutte, slutteNorwegian
- koniec, śmierć, meta, kończyć, skończyć, zakończyćPolish
- cabo, fim, término, acabar, concluir, finalizar, findar, terminarPortuguese
- fegn, finRomansh
- capăt, terminație, sfârșit, sfârși, terminaRomanian
- край, энд, коне́ц, смерть, ко́нчиться, заверша́ть, зака́нчиваться, зако́нчить, око́нчиться, конча́ться, зака́нчивать, зако́нчиться, заверши́ть, око́нчитьRussian
- finis, fini, fineSardinian
- крај, smrt, kraj, смрт, завршити, završiti, svršiti, свршитиSerbo-Croatian
- cieľ, koniec, skončiť, ukončiťSlovak
- konec, cilj, končatiSlovene
- ände, slut, död, sluta, ändaSwedish
- mwisho, tamati, daliSwahili
- katapusan, dulo, kamatayan, wakas, tapusin, mataposTagalog
- son, ölüm, bitmekTurkish
- край, кіне́ць, кінча́ти, закі́нчити, скі́нчити, закі́нчуватиUkrainian
- انت, ختم ہونا, ختم کرناUrdu
- kết thúc, làm xong, kết liễu, hoàn thànhVietnamese
- dibout, fén, coronWalloon
Get even more translations for end »
Find a translation for the end definition in other languages:
Select another language: