marked by complexity and richness of detail
"an elaborate lace pattern"
detailed, elaborate, elaborated(verb)
developed or executed with care and in minute detail
"a detailed plan"; "the elaborate register of the inhabitants prevented tax evasion"- John Buchan; "the carefully elaborated theme"
elaborate, lucubrate, expatiate, exposit, enlarge, flesh out, expand, expound, dilate(verb)
add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing
"She elaborated on the main ideas in her dissertation"
produce from basic elements or sources; change into a more developed product
"The bee elaborates honey"
complicate, refine, rarify, elaborate(verb)
make more complex, intricate, or richer
"refine a design or pattern"
elaborate, work out(verb)
work out in detail
"elaborate a plan"
(used with on when used with an object) To give further detail or explanation (about).
Highly complex, detailed, or sophisticated
After reading a long, elaborate description, I was impressed but no wiser.
intricate, fancy, flashy, or showy
I stared for hours at the elaborate pattern in the rug.
Origin: 1575, from elaboratus, past participle of elaboro, from e- + labor. More at e-, labour.
wrought with labor; finished with great care; studied; executed with exactness or painstaking; as, an elaborate discourse; an elaborate performance; elaborate research
to produce with labor
to perfect with painstaking; to improve or refine with labor and study, or by successive operations; as, to elaborate a painting or a literary work
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
e-lab′or-āt, v.t. to labour on: to produce with labour: to take pains with: to improve by successive operations.—adj. wrought with labour: done with fullness and exactness: highly finished.—adv. Elab′orately.—ns. Elab′orateness; Elaborā′tion, act of elaborating: refinement: the process by which substances are formed in the organs of animals or plants.—adj. Elab′orative.—ns. Elab′orator, one who elaborates; Elab′oratory=Laboratory. [L. elaborāre, -ātum—e, out, laborāre—labor, labour.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'elaborate' in Adjectives Frequency: #844
The numerical value of elaborate in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of elaborate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
People aren't predestined with a purpose. Like an elaborate lie, we make it up as we go along
Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you can find outside an advertising agency.
Washington is a place where people praise courage and act on elaborate personal cost-benefit calculations.
A grave like this -- very elaborate stone sarcophagus, lead inner casket buried in a very prominent position in the church, close to the high altar -- you've got to think this person was important.
I would love for Bergdahl to elaborate on the 'disturbing circumstances' that were going on in his unit, because I have no idea what he would be referring to. I am an open book and would testify to anything.
Images & Illustrations of elaborate
Translations for elaborate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- доразвивам, сложен, подробен, изкусен, изпипвамBulgarian
- rozvést, rozpracovatCzech
- ausführlich, durchdachtGerman
- detailne, rikkalik, välja töötama, viimistlema, üksikasjalikEstonian
- kehitellä, perusteellinen, [[selittää]] [[tarkemmin]], huoliteltu, taidokas, täsmentää, yksityiskohtainen, [[käsitellä]] [[yksityiskohtaisemmin]]Finnish
- mélyreható, alaposan kidolgozott, kifejtHungarian
- dettagliare, dettagliato, approfondire, elaborato, intricatoItalian
- gedetailleerd, diepgaand, intrigerendDutch
- drobiazgowy, rozwinąćPolish
- скрупулёзный, продуманный, замысловатый, искусный, уточнять, развивать, доскональный, [[тщательно]] [[сделанный]], подробный, разрабатывать, [[вдаваться]] [[в]] [[подробность, конкретизироватьRussian
- elaborera, detaljeradSwedish
- ayrıntılı, teferruatlı, mufassal, tafsilatlı, detaylıTurkish
Get even more translations for elaborate »
Find a translation for the elaborate definition in other languages:
Select another language: