Definitions for earnestness
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
serious in intention, purpose, or effort; sincerely zealous.
showing depth and sincerity of feeling:
an earnest entreaty.
seriously important; grave.
(n.)full seriousness, as of intention or purpose:
to be in earnest.
* Syn: earnest , resolute , serious , sincere imply having qualities of steady purposefulness. earnest implies having a purpose and being steadily and soberly eager in pursuing it: an earnest student.resolute adds a quality of determination: resolute in defending the rights of others.serious implies having depth and a soberness of attitude that contrasts with gaiety and frivolity; it may include the qualities of both earnestness and resolution: serious and thoughtful.sincere suggests genuineness, trustworthiness, and absence of superficiality: a sincere interest in a person's welfare.
Origin of earnest:
bef. 1000; ME ernest, OE eornost zeal, seriousness, c. MLG ernest, OHG ernust
a portion of something, given or done in advance as a pledge of the remainder.
money given by a buyer to a seller to bind a contract.
Origin of earnest:
1175–1225; ME ernes(t), alter. of OF erres, pl. of erre earnest money < L arr(h)a short for arr(h)abō < Gk arrhabṓn < Semitic (cf. Heb ‘ērābhōn security, pledge)
earnestness, seriousness, sincerity(noun)
an earnest and sincere feeling
seriousness, earnestness, serious-mindedness, sincerity(noun)
the trait of being serious
"a lack of solemnity is not necessarily a lack of seriousness"- Robert Rice
The quality of being earnest; sincerity; seriousness.
the state or quality of being earnest; intentness; anxiety
Translations for earnestness
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
showing determination, sincerity or strong feeling
He made an earnest attempt to improve his work.
- innige, ywerigeAfrikaans
- seriedadePortuguese (BR)
- der ErnstGerman
- alvor; oprigtighedDanish
- सच्चाई, तत्परताHindi
- einlægni; alvaraIcelandic
- rimtumas, nuoširdumasLithuanian
- alvor, oppriktighetNorwegian
- دزړه له كومىPashto
- allvar, uppriktighetSwedish
- ความเอาใจใส่; ความเอาจริงเอาจังThai
- ciddiyet, samimiyetTurkish
- 認真，誠摯，鄭重其事Chinese (Trad.)
- серйозність; щирістьUkrainian
- tính nghiêm túc; tính tha thiếtVietnamese
- 认真，诚挚Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for earnestness »