An instance of a person or animal drowning.
It's dangerous to swim in that river uE000185595uE001 there were three drownings there last year.
Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid. Near drowning is the survival of a drowning event involving unconsciousness or water inhalation and can lead to serious secondary complications, including death, after the event. According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury related deaths, with 96% of these deaths occurring in low- and middle-income countries. In many countries, drowning is one of the leading causes of death for children under 12 years old. For example, in the United States, it is the second leading cause of death in children 12 and younger. The rate of drowning in populations around the world varies widely according to their access to water, the climate and the national swimming culture. Drowning itself is quick and silent, although it may be preceded by distress which is more visible. A person drowning is unable to shout or call for help, or seek attention, as they cannot obtain enough air. The instinctive drowning response is the final set of autonomic reactions in the 20 – 60 seconds before sinking underwater, and to the untrained eye can look similar to calm safe behavior. Lifeguards and other persons trained in rescue learn to recognize drowning people by watching for these instinctive movements.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Death that occurs as a result of anoxia or heart arrest, associated with immersion in liquid.
The numerical value of drowning in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of drowning in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We're drowning in information and starving for knowledge.
You are 87% water; the other 13% keeps you from drowning.
It felt like he was drowning in his symptoms, and I was drowning along with him.
Being an old maid is like death by drowning, a really delightful sensation after you cease to struggle.
The body is almost always face down -- not face up -- in drowning situations, there's enough evidence here to warrant a second look.
Images & Illustrations of drowning
Translations for drowning
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
Get even more translations for drowning »
Find a translation for the drowning definition in other languages:
Select another language: