Definitions for draftdræft, drɑft
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word draft
draft, bill of exchange, order of payment(noun)
a document ordering the payment of money; drawn by one person or bank on another
a current of air (usually coming into a chimney or room or vehicle)
draft, rough drawing(noun)
a preliminary sketch of a design or picture
draft, draught, potation, tipple(noun)
a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg
"they served beer on draft"
draft, draft copy(noun)
any of the various versions in the development of a written work
"a preliminary draft"; "the final draft of the constitution"
the depth of a vessel's keel below the surface (especially when loaded)
a regulator for controlling the flow of air in a fireplace
a dose of liquid medicine
"he took a sleeping draft"
conscription, muster, draft, selective service(noun)
compulsory military service
gulp, draft, draught, swig(noun)
a large and hurried swallow
"he finished it at a single gulp"
draft, draught, drawing(verb)
the act of moving a load by drawing or pulling
draw up an outline or sketch for something
"draft a speech"
enlist, draft, muster in(verb)
engage somebody to enter the army
blueprint, draft, draught(verb)
make a blueprint of
A quantity of liquid poured out for drinking; a dose.
The act of drawing a quantity of liquid from a large container; also, the quantity of liquid so drawn.
A device for regulating the flow of gases in a chimney, stovepipe, fireplace, etc.; as, to close the chimney draft. It is usually a flat plate of the same internal dimensions as the flue, which can be rotated to be parallel to or perpendicular to the current of gases.
To draw from a military band or post, or from any district, company, or society; to detach; to select; especially, to compulsorily select and induct members of a population to serve in the armed forces.
An early version of a written work
I have to revise the first draft of my term paper.
A preliminary sketch, rough outline
His first drafts were better than most authors' final products.
Depth of water needed to float a ship [also spelled draught].
A current of air, usually coming into a room or vehicle [also spelled draught].
Draw through a flue of gasses (smoke) resulting from a combustion process.
A cheque, an order for money to be paid
An amount of liquid that is drunk in one swallow [also spelled draught]
She took a deep draft from the bottle of water.
conscription, the system of forcing people to serve in the military.
He left the country to avoid the draft.
A system of assigning rookie players to professional sports teams
to write a first version, make a preliminary sketch.
write a law
to conscript a person, force a person to serve in the military
to select and separate an animal or animals from a group.
to force or convince a person to do a job they do not want to do
to select a rookie player onto a professional sports team
To follow very closely behind another vehicle, thereby providing an aerodynamic advantage to both lead and follower, thereby conserving energy or increasing speed.
the act of drawing fibers out of a clump, for spinning in the production of yarn
the pulling force (tension) on couplers and draft gear during a slack stretched condition.
Referring to drinks on tap, in contrast to bottled
I'd rather have a fresh, cheap draft beer.
Origin: draught, from dragan; see draw.
pertaining to, or used for, drawing or pulling (as vehicles, loads, etc.). Same as Draught
relating to, or characterized by, a draft, or current of air. Same as Draught
to draw the outline of; to delineate
to compose and write; as, to draft a memorial
to draw from a military band or post, or from any district, company, or society; to detach; to select
to transfer by draft
Origin: [The same word as draught. OE. draught, draht, fr. AS. dragan to draw. See Draw, and cf. Draught.]
A draft is a process used to allocate certain players to sports teams. In a draft, teams take turns selecting from a pool of eligible players. When a team selects a player, the team receives exclusive rights to sign that player to a contract, and no other team in the league may sign the player. The best-known type of draft is the entry draft, which is used to allocate players who have recently become eligible to play in a league. Depending on the sport, the players may come from college, high school or junior teams or teams in other countries. An entry draft prevents expensive bidding wars for young talent and ensures that no one team can sign contracts with all of the best young players and make the league uncompetitive. To encourage parity, teams that do poorly in the previous season usually get to choose first in the postseason draft. Other types of drafts include the expansion draft, in which a new team selects players from other teams in the league; and the dispersal draft, in which a league's surviving teams select players from the roster of a newly defunct franchise. Drafts are usually permitted under anti-trust or restraint of trade laws because they are included in collective bargaining agreements between leagues and labor unions representing players. These agreements generally stipulate that after a certain number of seasons, a player whose contract has expired becomes a free agent and can sign with any team. They also require minimum and sometimes maximum salaries for newly drafted players.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The conscription of qualified citizens in military service. See also active duty; Military Service. 2. The depth of water that a vessel requires to float freely; the depth of a vessel from the water line to the keel. See also watercraft.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
(DRAUGHT) What gives a cold, cures a cold, and pays the doctor's bill.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'draft' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3814
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'draft' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3397
Rank popularity for the word 'draft' in Nouns Frequency: #1456
Rank popularity for the word 'draft' in Verbs Frequency: #861
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
My understanding is that there is no draft.
We can’t draft a budget with magic money that does not exist.
I am the vessel. The draft is God's. And God is the thirsty one.
In reviling, it is not necessary to prepare a preliminary draft.
We have a chance of getting 600,000 first-round draft picks every year.
Images & Illustrations of draft
Translations for draft
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- газене, течение, набор, чек, платежно нареждане, чернова, скица, глътка, тяга, скицирам, мобилизирамBulgarian
- esborrany, esbósCatalan, Valencian
- koncept, náčrt, skica, odvod, návrh, průvan, hlt, povolatCzech
- vom Fass, Zugluft, Musterung, Entwurf, Tiefgang, zeichnen, auswählen, entwerfen, abkommandieren, einberufenGerman
- reclutamiento, borrador, esbozo, leva, conscripción, de baril, de grifo, reclutarSpanish
- süvis, sõjaväekohustus, tõmbetuul, lonks, visand, visandama, lähetamaEstonian
- luonnos, veto, asevelvollisuus, hana, varaustilaisuus, syväys, maksumääräys, kulaus, varaus, kirjoittaa, kutsua palvelukseen, luonnostellaFinnish
- brouillon, ébauche, courant d'air, gorgée, tirant, conscription, ébaucherFrench
- gairmScottish Gaelic
- טְיוּטָה, גִיּוּסHebrew
- minuta, brutta copia, aspirazione, tiraggio, aspiratore, assegno, tratta, alla spina, mandato, bozza, spiffero, bozzetto, schizzo, pescaggio, cambiale, effetto, mandato di pagamento, sorso, leva, arruolare, abbozzare, stendereItalian
- kauanu, hukihukiMāori
- нацрт, провев, скица, промаја, меницаMacedonian
- vat, kladversie, sketch, kladje, aanzet, tocht, trek, wissel, cheque, slok, lichting, diepgang, schets, getapt, ronselen, wetsontwerp, oproepenDutch
- skisse, utkast, trekk, tvungen militærtjeneste, kladd, slurk, verneplikt, kladde, skissere, utskriveNorwegian
- cug, przelew, przeciąg, pobór, z kija, zarys, szkic, zanurzenie, łyk, ciąg, beczkowy, pisać, powołaćPolish
- calado, corrente, trago, rascunho, esboço, cheque, gole, alistamento, esboçar, recrutar, alistarPortuguese
- plan, cec, ciorna, schiță, înrolare, tiraj, curent de aer, concept, pescaj, recrutare, suflareRomanian
- черновик, сквозняк, глоток, призыв, эскиз, набросок, тратта, переводной вексельRussian
- värvning, utkast, skiss, drag, slurk, värnplikt, utskrivning, svep, svälj, rekrytera, kommendera, skissa, värvaSwedish
Get even more translations for draft »
Find a translation for the draft definition in other languages:
Select another language: