Definitions for diversiondɪˈvɜr ʒən, -ʃən, daɪ-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word diversion
an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates
"scuba diving is provided as a diversion for tourists"; "for recreation he wrote poetry and solved crossword puzzles"; "drug abuse is often regarded as a form of recreation"
diversion, deviation, digression, deflection, deflexion, divagation(noun)
a turning aside (of your course or attention or concern)
"a diversion from the main highway"; "a digression into irrelevant details"; "a deflection from his goal"
diversion, diversionary attack(noun)
an attack calculated to draw enemy defense away from the point of the principal attack
A tactic used to draw attention away from the real threat or action.
A hobby; an activity that distracts the mind.
The act of diverting.
Removal of water via a canal.
A detour, such as during road construction
The rerouting of cargo or passengers to a new transshipment point or destination, or to a different mode of transportation before arrival at the ultimate destination.
Officially halting or suspending a formal criminal or juvenile justice proceeding and referral of the accused person to a treatment or care program.
Origin: From diversion, from diversio, from divertere, past participle diversus; see divert.
the act of turning aside from any course, occupation, or object; as, the diversion of a stream from its channel; diversion of the mind from business
that which diverts; that which turns or draws the mind from care or study, and thus relaxes and amuses; sport; play; pastime; as, the diversions of youth
the act of drawing the attention and force of an enemy from the point where the principal attack is to be made; the attack, alarm, or feint which diverts
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The act of drawing the attention and forces of an enemy from the point of the principal operation; an attack, alarm, or feint that diverts attention. 2. A change made in a prescribed route for operational or tactical reasons. A diversion order will not constitute a change of destination. 3. A rerouting of cargo or passengers to a new transshipment point or destination or on a different mode of transportation prior to arrival at ultimate destination. 4. In naval mine warfare, a route or channel bypassing a dangerous area. A diversion may connect one channel to another or it may branch from a channel and rejoin it on the other side of the danger. See also demonstration.
Diversion was formed in early 2010 with a clear goal to provide a necessary fusion between the entertainment industry and the current social gaming renaissance.The founders are all highly seasoned experts in gaming, web development, digital marketing and entertainment and are setting out in this space with two key differentiators:Provide users with real-world entertainment tie-in opportunities and experiences. Use of gaming expertise to create a more enjoyable and fulfilling social gaming experience.Diversion, Inc. is currently developing a game called FameTown, which is modeled after games like FarmVille and Mafia Wars and will be released Nov. 1, 2010.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
He would have been the last person in New York City I would have wanted to see in the diversion program.
The Graham Norton Show, star Wars movies are meant to be a couple of hours of diversion from reality, and we need that.
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.
One of the most intelligent traffickers has been Chapo, his son is not the brightest star on the Christmas tree. The best recorded intelligence on the son is that he doesn't have his father's intelligence. But I caution this could be a diversion to throw off authorities.
Arthur Goldman ’s criminal matter was resolved by the Chester County district attorney by virtue of a pre-trial diversion program without any admission of guilt by Art, arthur Goldman criminal matter will ultimately allow for the case to be dismissed and Arthur Goldman record expunged.
Images & Illustrations of diversion
Translations for diversion
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отклонение, отвличане, развлечение, отклоняванеBulgarian
- rozptýlení, zábavaCzech
- Entwässerung, Ablenkung, Unterhaltung, Umleitung, ZerstreuungGerman
- αναψυχή, παράκαμψη, εκτροπή, αντιπερισπασμός, διασκέδασηGreek
- distracción, desviaciónSpanish
- harhautus, harrastus, kiertotieFinnish
- malairt slí, athbhealachIrish
- svago, diversivo, diversioneItalian
- dywersja, objazdPolish
- объезд, отвлекающий манёвр, отклонение, отвод, развлечение, отвлечениеRussian
- tidsfördriv, avledningsmanöver, förströelseSwedish
Get even more translations for diversion »
Find a translation for the diversion definition in other languages:
Select another language: