dismiss, disregard, brush aside, brush off, discount, push aside, ignore(verb)
bar from attention or consideration
"She dismissed his advances"
dismiss, throw out(verb)
cease to consider; put out of judicial consideration
"This case is dismissed!"
dismiss, send packing, send away, drop(verb)
stop associating with
"They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate(verb)
terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position
"The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
dismiss, usher out(verb)
end one's encounter with somebody by causing or permitting the person to leave
"I was dismissed after I gave my report"
"The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections"
To discharge; to end the employment or service of.
The company dismissed me after less than a year.
To order to leave.
The soldiers were dismissed after the parade.
To dispel; to rid one's mind of.
He dismissed all thoughts of acting again.
To reject; to refuse to accept
The court dismissed the case.
To get a batsman out.
He was dismissed for 99 runs.
To give someone a red card; to send off
to send away; to give leave of departure; to cause or permit to go; to put away
to discard; to remove or discharge from office, service, or employment; as, the king dismisses his ministers; the matter dismisses his servant
to lay aside or reject as unworthy of attentions or regard, as a petition or motion in court
Origin: [L. dis- + missus, p. p. of mittere to send: cf. dimittere, OF. desmetre, F. dmettre. See Demise, and cf. Dimit.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
dis-mis′, v.t. to send away: to despatch: to discard: to remove from office or employment: (law) to reject, to put out of court, to discharge.—ns. Dismiss′al, Dismis′sion.—adjs. Dismiss′ive, Dismiss′ory. [L. dis, away, mittĕre, missum, to send.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'dismiss' in Verbs Frequency: #450
The numerical value of dismiss in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of dismiss in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Images & Illustrations of dismiss
Translations for dismiss
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отпращам, уволнявам, отхвърлямBulgarian
- despedir, rebutjar, acomiadar, destituirCatalan, Valencian
- einstellen, entlassen, abweisenGerman
- rechazar, disipar, echar, despedirSpanish
- hylätä, tyrmätä, sanoa irti, ajaa pois, erottaa, irtisanoa, [[antaa]] [[punainen kortti]], häätää, unohtaaFinnish
- retirer, renvoyer, démettre, rejeter, licencier, rompez, limogerFrench
- cuir à dreuchdScottish Gaelic
- licenziare, dimettere, scacciare, mandar via, rompere le righe, respingere, in libertà, archiviare, rigettare, congedare, mandare viaItalian
- demitir, dispensar, rejeitarPortuguese
- a demite, a revoca (din funcție), a destitui, a concedia, alungaRomanian
- отпускать, увольнять, уволитьRussian
- avfärda, avskeda, upplösa, entlediga, få rött kort, skingra, avvisa, sparkaSwedish
Get even more translations for dismiss »
Find a translation for the dismiss definition in other languages:
Select another language: