Definitions for dismissdɪsˈmɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word dismiss
dismiss, disregard, brush aside, brush off, discount, push aside, ignore(verb)
bar from attention or consideration
"She dismissed his advances"
dismiss, throw out(verb)
cease to consider; put out of judicial consideration
"This case is dismissed!"
dismiss, send packing, send away, drop(verb)
stop associating with
"They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate(verb)
terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position
"The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
dismiss, usher out(verb)
end one's encounter with somebody by causing or permitting the person to leave
"I was dismissed after I gave my report"
"The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections"
To discharge; to end the employment or service of.
The company dismissed me after less than a year.
To order to leave.
The soldiers were dismissed after the parade.
To dispel; to rid one's mind of.
He dismissed all thoughts of acting again.
To reject; to refuse to accept
The court dismissed the case.
To get a batsman out.
He was dismissed for 99 runs.
To give someone a red card; to send off
to send away; to give leave of departure; to cause or permit to go; to put away
to discard; to remove or discharge from office, service, or employment; as, the king dismisses his ministers; the matter dismisses his servant
to lay aside or reject as unworthy of attentions or regard, as a petition or motion in court
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'dismiss' in Verbs Frequency: #450
Translations for dismiss
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отпращам, уволнявам, отхвърлямBulgarian
- despedir, rebutjar, acomiadar, destituirCatalan, Valencian
- einstellen, entlassen, abweisenGerman
- rechazar, disipar, echar, despedirSpanish
- hylätä, tyrmätä, sanoa irti, ajaa pois, erottaa, irtisanoa, [[antaa]] [[punainen kortti]], häätää, unohtaaFinnish
- retirer, renvoyer, démettre, rejeter, licencier, rompez, limogerFrench
- cuir à dreuchdScottish Gaelic
- licenziare, dimettere, scacciare, mandar via, rompere le righe, respingere, in libertà, archiviare, rigettare, congedare, mandare viaItalian
- demitir, dispensar, rejeitarPortuguese
- a demite, a revoca (din funcție), a destitui, a concedia, alungaRomanian
- отпускать, увольнять, уволитьRussian
- avfärda, avskeda, upplösa, entlediga, få rött kort, skingra, avvisa, sparkaSwedish
Get even more translations for dismiss »
Find a translation for the dismiss definition in other languages:
Select another language: