Definitions for discretiondɪˈskrɛʃ ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word discretion
freedom to act or judge on one's own
discretion, discreetness, circumspection, prudence(noun)
knowing how to avoid embarrassment or distress
"the servants showed great tact and discretion"
refined taste; tact
free will, discretion(noun)
the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies
the trait of judging wisely and objectively
"a man of discernment"
The quality of being discreet or circumspect
Bob showed great discretion despite his knowledge of the affair.
The ability to make wise choices or decisions
The freedom to make one's own judgements
I leave that to your discretion.
the quality of being discreet; wise conduct and management; cautious discernment, especially as to matters of propriety and self-control; prudence; circumspection; wariness
freedom to act according to one's own judgment; unrestrained exercise of choice or will
Discretion is a noun in the English language with several meanings revolving around the judgment of the person exercising the characteristic.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
An instinctive perception that enables us to say, "Oh, shut up!" to the small, weak man, and "I beg your pardon, but I do not entirely agree with your views," to the large, strong one.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'discretion' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4648
Rank popularity for the word 'discretion' in Nouns Frequency: #1912
Translations for discretion
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- преценка, благоразумие, усмотрение, дискретностBulgarian
- možnost se rozhodnout, možnost uvážení, uvážlivost, diskrétnost, soudnost, ohleduplnostCzech
- hienotunteisuus, oma harkinta, tilannetaju, hienovaraisuus, tahdikkuus, harkintakykyFinnish
- riservatezza, discernimento, discrezioneItalian
- discreție, rezervă, maturitate, libertate de decizieRomanian
- осмотрительность, усмотрение, прозорливость, [[свобода]] [[действиеRussian
- omdöme, diskretionSwedish
Get even more translations for discretion »
Find a translation for the discretion definition in other languages:
Select another language: