Definitions for devicedɪˈvaɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word device
an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
"the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
something in an artistic work designed to achieve a particular effect
device, gimmick, twist(noun)
any clever maneuver
"he would stoop to any device to win a point"; "it was a great sales gimmick"; "a cheap promotions gimmick for greedy businessmen"
any ornamental pattern or design (as in embroidery)
an emblematic design (especially in heraldry)
"he was recognized by the device on his shield"
Any piece of equipment made for a particular purpose, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
There are a number of household devices in a kitchen such as a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, or an electric can opener.
A project or scheme, often designed to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
A technique that an author or speaker uses to evoke an emotional response in the audience; a rhetorical device.
A motto, emblem, or other mark used to distinguish the bearer from others. A device differs from a badge or cognizance primarily because as it is a personal distinction, and not a badge borne by members of the same house successively.
An image used in whole or in part as a trademark or service mark.
An image or logo denoting official or proprietary authority or provenience.
A spectacle or show.
Power of devising; invention; contrivance.
Origin: devis, from divisus, past participle of dividere, thus originally, when goods were being divided among people, a mark put on each item to say who was getting what.
that which is devised, or formed by design; a contrivance; an invention; a project; a scheme; often, a scheme to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice
power of devising; invention; contrivance
an emblematic design, generally consisting of one or more figures with a motto, used apart from heraldic bearings to denote the historical situation, the ambition, or the desire of the person adopting it. See Cognizance
improperly, an heraldic bearing
anything fancifully conceived
a spectacle or show
Device was a short-lived American pop-rock trio formed by keyboardist, bassist and vocalist Holly Knight, vocalist Paul Engemann and guitarist Gene Black. Device's only album, 22B3, was released in the spring of 1986. It produced a Top 40 single in the U.S. with "Hanging on a Heart Attack," which peaked at #35 on the Hot 100. The band's second single, "Who Says," peaked at #79. Both of these songs were promoted by music videos which garnered MTV rotation, and both were released as 12" singles with remix and dub versions which received club play. A third single, "When Love is Good" was released, while the album peaked at #73 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart. Mike Chapman produced the album.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'device' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3361
Rank popularity for the word 'device' in Nouns Frequency: #912
Translations for device
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أداة, جهازArabic
- прыстасава́нне, прыла́даBelarusian
- девиз, устро́йство, прое́кт, план, приспособле́ниеBulgarian
- dispositiu, mecanismeCatalan, Valencian
- Hilfsmittel, Vorrichtung, Emblem, Instrument, Einrichtung, Devise, Baustein, Gerät, Apparat, Marke, Kunstgriff, Motto, EinheitGerman
- συσκευή, τέχνασμα, μεταφορά, έμβλημαGreek
- aparato, intrigoEsperanto
- mecanismo, dispositivoSpanish
- tehokeino, tunnus, suunnitelma, juoni, laite, tunnusmerkkiFinnish
- artifice, appareil, stratagème, ruse, manœuvreFrench
- cleasScottish Gaelic
- מכשיר, מתקן, אמצעי רטוריHebrew
- eszköz, mód, készülék, szerkezet, gépezetHungarian
- սարք, սարքավորումArmenian
- inscrizione, procedimento, apparecchio, emblema, periferica, congegno, coccarda, dispositivo, mottoItalian
- デバイス, 装置Japanese
- у́ред, девиза, фигу́ра, сре́дствоMacedonian
- alat, perantiMalay
- apparaat, toestelDutch
- urządzenie, przyrządPolish
- aparato, aparelho, dispositivoPortuguese
- dispozitiv, element, componentă, aparat, unitate, piesăRomanian
- зате́я, деви́з, прибо́р, уло́вка, дева́йс, эмбле́ма, план, приём, га́джет, прое́кт, приспособле́ние, фигу́ра, аппара́т, ма́рка, схе́ма, устро́йство, сре́дство, механи́змRussian
- уређај, uređajSerbo-Croatian
- redskap, retorisk figur, husgeråd, devis, apparat, knep, plan, föresatsSwedish
- alet, cihaz, aygıtTurkish
Get even more translations for device »
Find a translation for the device definition in other languages:
Select another language: