try to prevent; show opposition to
"We should discourage this practice among our youth"
turn away from by persuasion
"Negative campaigning will only dissuade people"
To prevent something from happening.
To persuade someone not to do something; to discourage.
Origin: From deterreo, from + .
to prevent by fear; hence, to hinder or prevent from action by fear of consequences, or difficulty, risk, etc
Origin: [L. deterrere; de + terrere to frighten, terrify. See Terror.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
de-tėr′, v.t. to frighten from: to hinder or prevent:—pr.p. deter′ring; pa.p. deterred′.—n. Deter′ment. [L. deterrēre—de, from, terrēre, to frighten.]
The numerical value of deter in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of deter in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Some say it will bring war to the heavens, but its purpose is to deter war, in the heavens and on earth.
I would readily admit that women are superior to us if it could deter them from pretending to be our equals!
We're going to be there, we're going to deter. That's the main reason we're there -- to deter potential aggression.
The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
There are going to be U.S. Army forces here in Lithuania, as well as Estonia and Latvia and Poland for as long as is required to deter Russian aggression and to assure our allies.
Images & Illustrations of deter
Translations for deter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разубеждавам, възпирамBulgarian
- verhindern, abhaltenGerman
- disuadir, evitar, prevenir, desalentarSpanish
- estää, pidätellä, estelläFinnish
- empêcher, dissuader, découragerFrench
- scoraggiare, prevenireItalian
- verhinderen, ontmoedigenDutch
- forhindre, avskrekkeNorwegian
- dissuadir, desencorajar, impedirPortuguese
- отговаривать, отговарить, разубедить, удерживать, предотвращать, предотвратить, разубеждать, удержатьRussian
- odgovoriti, osujetiti, spriječiti, odvratitiSerbo-Croatian
- förhindra, avstyra, avråda, avskräckaSwedish
Get even more translations for deter »
Find a translation for the deter definition in other languages:
Select another language: