Definitions for derivedɪˈraɪv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word derive
deduce, infer, deduct, derive(verb)
reason by deduction; establish by deduction
"derive pleasure from one's garden"
"The present name derives from an older form"
develop or evolve from a latent or potential state
derive, come, descend(verb)
come from; be connected by a relationship of blood, for example
"She was descended from an old Italian noble family"; "he comes from humble origins"
To obtain or receive (something) from something else.
To deduce (a conclusion) by reasoning.
To find the derivation of (a word or phrase).
To create (a compound) from another by means of a reaction.
To originate or stem (from).
Origin: From deriven, from deriver, from derivare, from de + rivus; see rival.
to turn the course of, as water; to divert and distribute into subordinate channels; to diffuse; to communicate; to transmit; -- followed by to, into, on, upon
to receive, as from a source or origin; to obtain by descent or by transmission; to draw; to deduce; -- followed by from
to trace the origin, descent, or derivation of; to recognize transmission of; as, he derives this word from the Anglo-Saxon
to obtain one substance from another by actual or theoretical substitution; as, to derive an organic acid from its corresponding hydrocarbon
to flow; to have origin; to descend; to proceed; to be deduced
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'derive' in Verbs Frequency: #393
Translations for derive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- произхождам, извличам, добивамBulgarian
- derivarCatalan, Valencian
- získat, odvoditCzech
- opstå, udledeDanish
- abstammen, kommen von, herleiten, ableiten, erlangenGerman
- päätellä, johtaaFinnish
- dériver, déduire, découler, conclureFrench
- ôfliede, ôfstamjeWestern Frisian
- ab orior, mano ex, fluo, orior ex, orior, a ducor, gigno, proficīscor, origo proficīscor, orior e, ex ducor, ab mano, e ducor, a mano, fluereLatin
- take, pūtakeMāori
- afleiden, ontstaan, deducerenDutch
- произойти, происходитьRussian
- avleda, uppnåSwedish
- türemek, elde etmek, sağlamakTurkish
Get even more translations for derive »
Find a translation for the derive definition in other languages:
Select another language: