Definitions for denigrateˈdɛn ɪˌgreɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word denigrate
minimize, belittle, denigrate, derogate(verb)
cause to seem less serious; play down
"Don't belittle his influence"
defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, sully, besmirch(verb)
charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone
"The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation"
To criticise so as to besmirch; traduce, disparage or defame.
To treat as worthless; belittle, degrade or disparage.
Origin: From denigratus, the past participle of denigrare, from de + nigrare 'to blacken (from niger)
to blacken thoroughly; to make very black
fig.: To blacken or sully; to defame
Origin: [L. denigrare; de- + nigrare to blacken, niger black.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Mature human do not denigrate (defame) or cherist (praise) an idea in order to feed personal worthwhile.
A president should never talk the way he does. A president should never denigrate people the way he does. If he has turned a new leaf, it would be wonderful.
The way the administration is always focused on what you call core Al Qaeda, as if you can ignore all the other elements, the other scattered Islamist groups around the world and you denigrate them as JV, that just doesn't wash anymore.
This is just the latest volley in Hollywood's war against faith, rather than simply deny the divine, ‘Angel From Hell’ seeks to denigrate it. They picked 'Glee' veteran Jane Lynch, who hates conservatives, to portray a disgustingly foul and perverted ‘angel.’.
The delicate compromise that came out of the Foreign Relations Committee is really a fine piece of work, we brought that to the floor and tried to cooperate as much as could until we realized that every amendment the Republicans offered was to denigrate and hurt and destroy that bill.
Translations for denigrate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شوه سمعةArabic
- омаловажавам, почерням, очернямBulgarian
- pošpinit, znevažovatCzech
- anschwärzen, verleumden, verunglimpfen, herabsetzenGerman
- pimentää, mustata, vähätellä, mustamaalataFinnish
- noircir, dénigrer, rabaisser, médire, déprécierFrench
- dèan dìmeas airScottish Gaelic
- criticare, sparlare, diffamare, denigrare, parlare maleItalian
- оцрнува, омаловажува, понижуваMacedonian
- denigreren, kleineren, zwartmakenDutch
- uwłaczać, oczerniać, umniejszać, pomniejszyćPolish
- наговаривать, клеветать, очернять, чернитьRussian
- svärta ner, racka ned påSwedish
Get even more translations for denigrate »
Find a translation for the denigrate definition in other languages:
Select another language: