Definitions for defeatdɪˈfit
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word defeat
an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest
"it was a narrow defeat"; "the army's only defeat"; "they suffered a convincing licking"
the feeling that accompanies an experience of being thwarted in attaining your goals
get the better of, overcome, defeat(verb)
win a victory over
"You must overcome all difficulties"; "defeat your enemies"; "He overcame his shyness"; "He overcame his infirmity"; "Her anger got the better of her and she blew up"
kill, shoot down, defeat, vote down, vote out(verb)
thwart the passage of
"kill a motion"; "he shot down the student's proposal"
The act of defeating or being defeated
To overcome in battle or contest.
Wellington defeated Napoleon at Waterloo.
To destroy, ruin, undo, lay waste to.
To nullify; to reduce, to nothing, the strength of.
Origin: from desfait, from the verb desfaire des + faciō (to unmake).
to undo; to disfigure; to destroy
to render null and void, as a title; to frustrate, as hope; to deprive, as of an estate
to overcome or vanquish, as an army; to check, disperse, or ruin by victory; to overthrow
to resist with success; as, to defeat an assault
an undoing or annulling; destruction
frustration by rendering null and void, or by prevention of success; as, the defeat of a plan or design
an overthrow, as of an army in battle; loss of a battle; repulse suffered; discomfiture; -- opposed to victory
Origin: [Cf. F. dfaite, fr. dfaire. See Defeat, v.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
de-fēt′, v.t. to frustrate: to ruin.—n. a frustration of plans: ruin: overthrow, as of an army in battle.—n. Defeat′ure (Spens.), defeat: disfigurement, disguise. [O. Fr. defait, defaire, to undo—L. dis, neg. facĕre, to do.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'defeat' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3245
Rank popularity for the word 'defeat' in Nouns Frequency: #1306
Rank popularity for the word 'defeat' in Verbs Frequency: #623
The numerical value of defeat in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of defeat in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If you want to defeat a country, defeat it with your ideas! If you want to defeat your enemies, defeat them with your ideas! Let your only sword and gun be your sharp and powerful ideas!
We are excited to have Governor Romney join us in Ohio tomorrow, we believe that Governor Kasich is the best candidate to defeat Donald Trump in Ohio and to defeat Hillary Clinton in November.
Hate is your enemy; you must defeat it! Anger is your enemy; you must defeat it! Violence is your enemy; you must defeat it! Death is your enemy; you must defeat it! Know well your real enemies!
To defeat this poisonous ideology, we must be clear about why it is so wrong. We must expose and defeat what it is that persuades young people, from Tunisia to Kuwait, from Belgium to Britain, to join ISIL.
Did is a word of achievement Won't is a word of defeat Might is a word of bereavement Can't is a word of defeat Ought is a word of duty Try is a word each hour Will is a word of beauty Can is a word of power.
Images & Illustrations of defeat
Translations for defeat
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اندحار, غلب, انكسار, هزم, هزيمةArabic
- унищожение, разбивам, побеждавам, поражениеBulgarian
- vèncer, derrota, vencimentCatalan, Valencian
- porazit, porážkaCzech
- tab, overvinde, besejre, usejrDanish
- Niederlage, besiegen, niederringen, schlagenGerman
- νικώ, ήτταGreek
- venki, malvenkoEsperanto
- derrotar, anular, vencimiento, derrota, vencerSpanish
- lüüasaamine, võitmaEstonian
- شکست دادنPersian
- häviö, tappio, päihittää, voittaaFinnish
- vaincre, défaire, défaiteFrench
- maidhm, cloígh, briseadh, faigh an lámh in uachtar ar, díomua, buaigh arIrish
- callScottish Gaelic
- vencer, derrotar, bater, vencemento, derrotaGalician
- הביס, תבוסהHebrew
- vereség, kudarc, legyőzHungarian
- vinna, ósigur, tap, sigraIcelandic
- battere, fallimento, sconfitta, disfatta, insuccesso, sconfiggereItalian
- 負かす, 敗北, 挫折, やっつける, 倒すJapanese
- ឈ្នះ, ការឈ្នះ, ការចាញ់Khmer
- clades, vincereLatin
- nugalėti, įveikti, sukautiLithuanian
- uzvarēt, sakāve, sakaut, uzveiktLatvian
- verslaan, nederlaag, overwinnenDutch
- nederlag, beseire, overvinneNorwegian
- vencir, vencement, vencimentOccitan
- pokonać, porażkaPolish
- derrotar, vencimento, derrota, vencerPortuguese
- învinge, înfrânge, bateRomanian
- поражение, побеждать, победить, разбивать, разбить, пораRussian
- övervinna, nederlag, besegra, förlustSwedish
- ఓటమి, ఓటు, ఓడించుTelugu
- yenmek, mağlup etmek, yenilgi, mağlubiyetTurkish
- đánh bạiVietnamese
Get even more translations for defeat »
Find a translation for the defeat definition in other languages:
Select another language: