Definitions for decisivedɪˈsaɪ sɪv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word decisive
determining or having the power to determine an outcome
"cast the decisive vote"; "two factors had a decisive influence"
"had a decisive lead in the polls"
characterized by decision and firmness
"an able and decisive young woman"; "we needed decisive leadership"; "she gave him a decisive answer"
forming or having the nature of a turning point or crisis
"a critical point in the campaign"; "the critical test"
Having the power or quality of deciding a question or controversy; putting an end to contest or controversy; final; conclusive.
A decisive battle is fatal for one side's war chances
Marked by promptness and decision.
A noble instance of this attribute of the decisive character. -J. Foster.
having the power or quality of deciding a question or controversy; putting an end to contest or controversy; final; conclusive
marked by promptness and decision
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'decisive' in Adjectives Frequency: #895
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The (federal) government is, for a change, being decisive.
This kind of flexibility is a decisive competitive advantage.
A very important step was taken today, this is a decisive, historic stage.
We must hope that the Iranians move on decisive points and that we come to a close.
He makes decisive decisions and he doesn't back down. He doesn't go around the world apologizing.
Images & Illustrations of decisive
Translations for decisive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- решителен, решаващBulgarian
- decisiuCatalan, Valencian
- směrodatný, rozhodující, rozhodnýCzech
- beslutsom, afgørendeDanish
- ausschlaggebend, entscheidend, entschlussfreudigGerman
- αποφασιστικός, -ή, -όGreek
- decidido, decisivoSpanish
- päättäväinen, ratkaisevaFinnish
- décidé, ferme, décisif, décidéeFrench
- beslissend, beslist, besluitvaardig, doorslaggevend, afdoendDutch
- prȅsudan, odlùčujūćī, ȍdlūčanSerbo-Croatian
- bestämd, beslutsam, bestämmande, utslagsgivande, resolut, fast, avgörandeSwedish
Get even more translations for decisive »
Find a translation for the decisive definition in other languages:
Select another language: