Definitions for debrisdəˈbri, ˈdeɪ bri; esp. Brit. ˈdɛb ri
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word debris
debris, dust, junk, rubble, detritus(noun)
the remains of something that has been destroyed or broken up
Rubble, wreckage, scattered remains of something destroyed.
Litter and discarded refuse.
The ruins of a broken-down structure
Large rock fragments left by a melting glacier etc.
Origin: From débris, itself from dé- + bris, or from debriser, from debrisier, itself from de- + brisier, of origin, from *, from brestanan, from bhrest-. Cogante with bristan, berstan. More at burst.
broken and detached fragments, taken collectively; especially, fragments detached from a rock or mountain, and piled up at the base
rubbish, especially such as results from the destruction of anything; remains; ruins
Origin: [F., fr. pref. d- (L. dis) + briser to break, shatter; perh. of Celtic origin.]
Debris or débris is rubble, wreckage, ruins, litter and discarded garbage/refuse/trash, scattered remains of something destroyed, discarded, or as in geology, large rock fragments left by a melting glacier etc. Depending on context, debris can refer to a number of different things.
birdes, brides, rebids
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I could feel all the debris landing on top of me.
There are likely more dead bodies under the debris.
Space debris removal could become our core business.
It was found under foliage and debris. You had to be looking for it to locate it.
The flow of the river is so fast; the debris of the river -- you can't control it.
Images & Illustrations of debris
Translations for debris
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- отпадъци, отломки, остатъци, развалиниBulgarian
- sutiny, troskyCzech
- Ruinen, Trümmer, Schutt, Ruine, GeröllGerman
- restos, ruinas, ñiqueñaque, escombros, ruina, basura, fragmentos glaciares, cachureo, morrenaSpanish
- jätteet, jäänteet, pirstaleetFinnish
- sprùilleachScottish Gaelic
- serpihan, puingIndonesian
- afval, wrakstukken, overblijfselen, puin, wrakhout, ruine, restanten, gletjserpuinDutch
- moreia, destroços, morena, detritos, lixo, ruínasPortuguese
- развалина, руина, мусор, лом, обломокRussian
- enkaz, yıkıntıTurkish
Get even more translations for debris »
Find a translation for the debris definition in other languages:
Select another language: