Definitions for deadlineˈdɛdˌlaɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word deadline
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the time by which something must be finished, submitted, etc.
(formerly) a boundary around a military prison beyond which a prisoner could not venture without risk of being shot by the guards.
Category: Common Vocabulary, Military
Origin of deadline:
the point in time at which something must be completed
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
the time by which sth must be done
The deadline for payments is tomorrow.; to meet a work deadline
A date on or before which something must be completed.
I must make this deadline or my boss will kill me!
A guideline marked on a plate for a printing press.
A line which doesn't move.
A boundary around a prison.
Origin: The context of a due date originated in journalism, probably from an earlier usage in printing, representing a guideline marked on a plate for a printing press (inside which all content should appear). According to the Oxford English Dictionary, early usage refers simply to lines that do not move, such as one used in angling; slightly later American usage includes a boundary around a prison which prisoners must not cross.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'deadline' in Nouns Frequency: #2835
Translations for deadline
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a time by which something must be done or finished
Monday is the deadline for handing in this essay.
- sperdatum, keerdatumAfrikaans
- آخِر مَوْعِدArabic
- data limitePortuguese (BR)
- konečný/nejzazší termínCzech
- letzter TerminGerman
- tidsfrist; afleveringsfrist; deadlineDanish
- fecha límiteSpanish
- موعد مقرر؛ آخرین فرصتFarsi
- date limiteFrench
- תַּאֲרִיך יַעַדHebrew
- सीमा रेखाHindi
- rok za obaviti neštoCroatian
- batas waktuIndonesian
- tímamörk, eindagi, skilafresturIcelandic
- paskutinis terminasLithuanian
- pēdējais  termiņšLatvian
- had waktuMalay
- frist, grenseNorwegian
- (ostateczny) terminPolish
- موعد مقرر؛ آخرین فرصتPersian
- په عسكرى مجلس كې هغه حد چه تر هغه تېرېدل دمر ګ سبب كيږى: وروستنۍ نېټه چه يو كار بايداجراشىPashto
- data limitePortuguese
- deadline, termen limităRomanian
- предельный срокRussian
- konečný termínSlovak
- skrajni rokSlovenian
- tidsgräns, frist, deadlineSwedish
- mühlet, son bitme tarihiTurkish
- 最後期限Chinese (Trad.)
- крайній строк, термінUkrainian
- کسی کام کی تکمیل کے لۓ مقررہ وقتUrdu
- hạn cuốiVietnamese
- 最后期限Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for deadline »
Find a translation for the deadline definition in other languages:
Select another language: