Definitions for covenantˈkʌv ə nənt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word covenant
covenant, compact, concordat(noun)
a signed written agreement between two or more parties (nations) to perform some action
(Bible) an agreement between God and his people in which God makes certain promises and requires certain behavior from them in return
enter into a covenant
enter into a covenant or formal agreement
"They covenanted with Judas for 30 pieces of silver"; "The nations covenanted to fight terrorism around the world"
An agreement to do or not do a particular thing.
A promise, incidental to a deed or contract, either express or implied.
A pact or binding agreement between two or more parties.
An incidental clause in an agreement.
to enter into, or promise something by, a covenant
To enter a formal agreement.
To bind oneself in contract.
To make a stipulation.
a mutual agreement of two or more persons or parties, or one of the stipulations in such an agreement
an agreement made by the Scottish Parliament in 1638, and by the English Parliament in 1643, to preserve the reformed religion in Scotland, and to extirpate popery and prelacy; -- usually called the "Solemn League and Covenant."
the promises of God as revealed in the Scriptures, conditioned on certain terms on the part of man, as obedience, repentance, faith, etc
a solemn compact between members of a church to maintain its faith, discipline, etc
an undertaking, on sufficient consideration, in writing and under seal, to do or to refrain from some act or thing; a contract; a stipulation; also, the document or writing containing the terms of agreement
a form of action for the violation of a promise or contract under seal
to agree (with); to enter into a formal agreement; to bind one's self by contract; to make a stipulation
to grant or promise by covenant
The religious concept of a covenant is central to the Abrahamic religions and derived from the biblical covenants, notably the Abrahamic covenant. It is a formal alliance or agreement made by God with that religious community or with humanity in general.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'covenant' in Nouns Frequency: #2433
Translations for covenant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عهد, ميثاقArabic
- договор, споразумявам се, спогодба, договарям сеBulgarian
- σύμφωνο, συμφωνία, σύμβαση, συνθήκηGreek
- cláusula, pacto, convenio, contrato, alianzaSpanish
- sitoumus, ehto, sopimusvakuus, sitoutua, sopimusehtoFinnish
- cùmhnantScottish Gaelic
- stilare un accordo, concludere, convenzione, allearsi, sottoscrivere, convenzionarsi, alleanza, contrarre, impegnarsi, clausola accessoria, patto, convenire, contratto, accordarsi, clausola secondaria, stipulare, accordo solenneItalian
- 誓約, 約束する, 特約, 契約するJapanese
- pactiō, pactumLatin
- zawrzeć umowę, umówić się, umowa, ugodaPolish
- contrato, pacto, promessaPortuguese
- договор, заключать соглашениеRussian
- pakt, överenskommelse, avtal, avtala, förbundSwedish
Get even more translations for covenant »
Find a translation for the covenant definition in other languages:
Select another language: