Definitions for countenanceˈkaʊn tn əns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word countenance
the appearance conveyed by a person's face
"a pleasant countenance"; "a stern visage"
sanction, countenance, endorsement, indorsement, warrant, imprimatur(noun)
formal and explicit approval
"a Democrat usually gets the union's endorsement"
countenance, physiognomy, phiz, visage, kisser, smiler, mug(verb)
the human face (`kisser' and `smiler' and `mug' are informal terms for `face' and `phiz' is British)
permit, allow, let, countenance(verb)
consent to, give permission
"She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
Appearance, especially the features and expression of the face.
To tolerate, support, sanction, patronise or approve of something.
The cruel punishment was countenanced by the government, although it was not officially legal.
Origin: from contineo.
to encourage; to favor; to approve; to aid; to abet
to make a show of; to pretend
Origin: [OE. contenance, countenaunce, demeanor, composure, F. contenance demeanor, fr. L. continentia continence, LL. also, demeanor, fr. L. continere to hold together, repress, contain. See Contain, and cf. Continence.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A gift, with a kind countenance, is a double present.
Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world.
The countenance is the portrait of the soul, and the eyes mark its intentions.
Assume in adversity a countenance of prosperity, and in prosperity moderate thy temper.
The two maxims of any great man at court are, always to keep his countenance and never to keep his work.
Images & Illustrations of countenance
Translations for countenance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- насърчавам, изражение на лицето, подкрепямBulgarian
- podporovat, výrazCzech
- ansigt, billige, mine, støtte, tolerereDanish
- billigen, dulden, Antlitz, GesichtsausdruckGerman
- ενθαρρύνω, φυσιογνωμία, παρουσιαστικό, υποστηρίζω, μορφή, όψηGreek
- permitir, rostro, apariencia, tolerar, expresión, semblante, apoyarSpanish
- kasvonpiirteet, ilme, salliaFinnish
- aogasScottish Gaelic
- սատարել, քաջալերել, դեմքի արտահայտություն, համակրել, դեմք, աջակցելArmenian
- andlit, láta viðgangastIcelandic
- apparenza, espressione, sembianzaItalian
- gelaatsuitdrukking, verschijning, dulden, gedogenDutch
- wyraz twarzy, mina, obliczePolish
- aparência, semblantePortuguese
- выражение лицаRussian
Get even more translations for countenance »
Find a translation for the countenance definition in other languages:
Select another language: