contentious, combative, disputatious, disputative, litigious(adj)
inclined or showing an inclination to dispute or disagree, even to engage in law suits
"a style described as abrasive and contentious"; "a disputatious lawyer"; "a litigious and acrimonious spirit"
involving or likely to cause controversy
"a central and contentious element of the book"- Tim W.Ferfuson
Marked by heated arguments or controversy.
Given to struggling with others out of jealousy or discord.
Origin: From contentiosus, from contentio, from contendere, past participle contentus; see contend. Confer French contentieux, corresponding to
fond of contention; given to angry debate; provoking dispute or contention; quarrelsome
relating to contention or strife; involving or characterized by contention
contested; litigated; litigious; having power to decide controversy
The numerical value of contentious in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of contentious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
That may be a contentious issue.
I'd say people stated their views strongly, but I wouldn't call it contentious. Nobody threw anything.
Great wisdom is generous petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech cantankerous.
Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech cantankerous.
Long stormy spring-time, wet contentious April, winter chilling the lap of very May but at length the season of summer does come.
Images & Illustrations of contentious
Translations for contentious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- свадлив, споренBulgarian
- controvertit, contenciósCatalan, Valencian
- streitsüchtig, umstrittenGerman
- belicoso, camorrista, controvertido, provocador, pendenciero, contenciosoSpanish
- riidanhaluinen, riitaisa, kiistanalainenFinnish
- bagarreur, provocateur, batailleur, agressif, controversé, chamailleur, combatif, belliqueux, querelleurFrench
- veszekedő, pörlekedő, vitatott, vitásHungarian
- bellicoso, provocatore, controverso, aggressivoItalian
- provocateur, agressief, ruziemaker, strijdlustig, omstreden, vechtjas, aangevochtenDutch
- controverso, conflituosoPortuguese
- дискуссионный, любящий спорить, спорный, вздорный, придирчивыйRussian
- omstridd, omtvistad, bråkigSwedish
- mücâdeleci, çekişmeli, kavgacı, tartışmalıTurkish
Get even more translations for contentious »
Find a translation for the contentious definition in other languages:
Select another language: