Definitions for contentiouskənˈtɛn ʃəs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word contentious
contentious, combative, disputatious, disputative, litigious(adj)
inclined or showing an inclination to dispute or disagree, even to engage in law suits
"a style described as abrasive and contentious"; "a disputatious lawyer"; "a litigious and acrimonious spirit"
involving or likely to cause controversy
"a central and contentious element of the book"- Tim W.Ferfuson
Marked by heated arguments or controversy.
Given to struggling with others out of jealousy or discord.
Origin: From contentiosus, from contentio, from contendere, past participle contentus; see contend. Confer French contentieux, corresponding to
fond of contention; given to angry debate; provoking dispute or contention; quarrelsome
relating to contention or strife; involving or characterized by contention
contested; litigated; litigious; having power to decide controversy
The numerical value of contentious in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of contentious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
That may be a contentious issue.
I'd say people stated their views strongly, but I wouldn't call it contentious. Nobody threw anything.
Great wisdom is generous petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech cantankerous.
Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech cantankerous.
Long stormy spring-time, wet contentious April, winter chilling the lap of very May but at length the season of summer does come.
Images & Illustrations of contentious
Translations for contentious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- свадлив, споренBulgarian
- controvertit, contenciósCatalan, Valencian
- streitsüchtig, umstrittenGerman
- belicoso, camorrista, controvertido, provocador, pendenciero, contenciosoSpanish
- riidanhaluinen, riitaisa, kiistanalainenFinnish
- bagarreur, provocateur, batailleur, agressif, controversé, chamailleur, combatif, belliqueux, querelleurFrench
- veszekedő, pörlekedő, vitatott, vitásHungarian
- bellicoso, provocatore, controverso, aggressivoItalian
- provocateur, agressief, ruziemaker, strijdlustig, omstreden, vechtjas, aangevochtenDutch
- controverso, conflituosoPortuguese
- дискуссионный, любящий спорить, спорный, вздорный, придирчивыйRussian
- omstridd, omtvistad, bråkigSwedish
- mücâdeleci, çekişmeli, kavgacı, tartışmalıTurkish
Get even more translations for contentious »
Find a translation for the contentious definition in other languages:
Select another language: