Definitions for contagiouskənˈteɪ dʒəs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word contagious
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
capable of being transmitted by bodily contact with an infected person or object:
carrying or spreading a contagious disease.
tending to spread from person to person:
* Syn: contagious , infectious are usu. distinguished in technical medical use. contagious , literally “communicable by contact,” describes a very easily transmitted disease, as influenza or the common cold. infectious refers to a disease involving a microorganism that can be transmitted from one person to another only by a specific kind of contact; venereal diseases are usu. infectious. In nontechnical senses, contagious emphasizes the rapidity with which something spreads: Contagious laughter ran through the hall.infectious suggests the pleasantly irresistible quality of something: Her infectious good humor made her a popular guest.
Origin of contagious:
1350–1400; ME < LL
con•ta′gious•ness-dʒiˈɒs ɪ ti(n.)
con•ta`gi•os′i•ty-dʒiˈɒs ɪ ti(n.)
easily diffused or spread as from one person to another
"a contagious grin"
catching, communicable, contagious, contractable, transmissible, transmittable(adj)
(of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
(of a disease) able to be passed to others
Of a disease, easily transmitted to others.
The flu was so contagious that everybody in town got sick!
Of a fashion, laughter, etc., easily passed on to others.
Wearing jeans was a contagious fad at that time.
Of a person, having a disease that can be transmitted to another person by touch.
They were highly contagious, spreading bacteria to other people.
communicable by contact, by a virus, or by a bodily exhalation; catching; as, a contagious disease
conveying or generating disease; pestilential; poisonous; as, contagious air
spreading or communicable from one to another; exciting similar emotions or conduct in others
"Contagious" is a song by The Isley Brothers featuring group member Ronald Isley. It was released as a single from their 2001 album Eternal. The song was written and produced by R. Kelly, who was also featured on the song, and also features vocals by R&B singer Chanté Moore. The video plays as a mini soap opera or rap opera, depicting a man who goes home and finds out his woman has been cheating on him with another man. The song is taken to another level during the breakdown of the song, where the two men, Mr. Biggs and Kelly, meet once again after their previous battle on Kelly's 1996 single, "Down Low". In the middle of the second verse, Ron Isley goes down memory lane after saying "The down low happened to me all over again". In the video, there is also a brief clip of the "Down Low" video, shown of Mr. Biggs beating R. Kelly with a sledgehammer. "Contagious" rose to #19 on the pop singles chart and #3 on the R&B singles chart and made the Isleys the first band to score a hit in six consecutive decades on Billboard's Hot 100. The breakthrough helped their 2001 album Eternal go double platinum. In 2002 the song won a Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul Single, Group, Band or Duo.
Translations for contagious
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
spreading from one person to another by physical contact
Is that skin disease contagious?
- aansteeklik, oordraagbaarAfrikaans
- مُعدِ، مُنْتَقِل بِالعَدوىArabic
- contagiosoPortuguese (BR)
- مسری؛ واگیردارFarsi
- छूत से लगने वाला रोगHindi
- lipīgs; infekcijas-Latvian
- مسری؛ واگیردارPersian
- 傳染性的Chinese (Trad.)
- інфекційний, заразнийUkrainian
- متعدى, وبائىUrdu
- dễ lâyVietnamese
- 传染性的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for contagious »
Find a translation for the contagious definition in other languages:
Select another language: