Definitions for consoleˈkɒn soʊl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word console
console table, console(noun)
a small table fixed to a wall or designed to stand against a wall
a scientific instrument consisting of displays and an input device that an operator can use to monitor and control a system (especially a computer system)
an ornamental scroll-shaped bracket (especially one used to support a wall fixture)
"the bust of Napoleon stood on a console"
housing for electronic instruments, as radio or television
comfort, soothe, console, solace(verb)
give moral or emotional strength to
to cheer in distress or depression; to alleviate the grief and raise the spirits of; to relieve; to comfort; to soothe
a bracket whose projection is not more than half its height
any small bracket; also, a console table
Console is an electronic music project by Martin Gretschmann, the lead programmer for German band Notwist. Relying heavily on elements of electronic music, Console's music is reminiscent of some electro bands, such as Ladytron and Miss Kittin.
The Roycroft Dictionary
To stab one in pain with the bare bodkin of pity.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. The operator's station of a mainframe. In times past, this was a privileged location that conveyed godlike powers to anyone with fingers on its keys. Under Unix and other modern timesharing OSes, such privileges are guarded by passwords instead, and the console is just the tty the system was booted from. Some of the mystique remains, however, and it is traditional for sysadmins to post urgent messages to all users from the console (on Unix, /dev/console). 2. On microcomputer Unix boxes, the main screen and keyboard (as opposed to character-only terminals talking to a serial port). Typically only the console can do real graphics or run X.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
A grouping of controls, indicators, and similar electronic or mechanical equipment, used to monitor readiness of, and/or control specific functions of, a system, such as missile checkout, countdown, or launch operations.
Translations for console
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عزى, واسى, سلىArabic
- työpiste, olkakivi, keskikonsoli, pelikonsoli, ohjauskaappi, ohjauspöytäFinnish
- console de jeu, consoler, consoleFrench
- սփոփել, մխիթարելArmenian
- 慰める, 労るJapanese
- tréischtenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- vertroosten, troostenDutch
- pocieszyć, pocieszaćPolish
- пульт, утешать, успокоить, утешить, успокаиватьRussian
- утешити, utješitiSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for console »
Find a translation for the console definition in other languages:
Select another language: