Definitions for confrontkənˈfrʌnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word confront
oppose, as in hostility or a competition
"You must confront your opponent"; "Jackson faced Smith in the boxing ring"; "The two enemies finally confronted each other"
confront, face up, face(verb)
deal with (something unpleasant) head on
"You must confront your problems"; "He faced the terrible consequences of his mistakes"
confront, face, present(verb)
present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
"We confronted him with the evidence"; "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"; "An enormous dilemma faces us"
be face to face with
"The child screamed when he confronted the man in the Halloween costume"
To stand or meet facing, especially in competition, hostility or defiance; to come face to face with; to oppose; to challenge.
We should confront him about the missing money.
To deal with.
To something bring face to face with.
To come up against; to encounter.
To engage in confrontation.
To set a thing side by side with; to compare.
To put a thing facing to; to set in contrast to.
Origin: From confronter, from confrontare, from con- + frons
to stand facing or in front of; to face; esp. to face hostilely; to oppose with firmness
to put face to face; to cause to face or to meet; as, to confront one with the proofs of his wrong doing
to set in opposition for examination; to put in contrast; to compare
Origin: [F. confronter; L. con- + frons the forehead or front. See Front.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'confront' in Verbs Frequency: #644
Images & Illustrations of confront
Translations for confront
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изправям се пред, съпоставям, противостоя, стоя срещу, имам работа сBulgarian
- konfrontieren, gegenüberstellen, stellen, entgegentreten, begegnen, gegenübertreten, SacheGerman
- روبرو شدن باPersian
- confronteren, vergelijken, tegenover stellenDutch
- enfrentar, confrontarPortuguese
- [[име́ть]] [[де́ло]] (с), сопоста́вить, противостоя́ть, противопоставля́ть, столкну́ться, противопоста́вить, ста́лкиваться, сопоставля́тьRussian
- ballafaqoj, përballojAlbanian
- yüzleştirmek, karşılaştırmak, karşı koymakTurkish
Get even more translations for confront »
Find a translation for the confront definition in other languages:
Select another language: