gestate, conceive, conceptualize, conceptualise(verb)
have the idea for
"He conceived of a robot that would help paralyzed patients"; "This library was well conceived"
think, believe, consider, conceive(verb)
judge or regard; look upon; judge
"I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"
become pregnant; undergo conception
"She cannot conceive"; "My daughter was conceived in Christmas Day"
To develop an idea.
To understand someone.
To become pregnant.
Origin: From conceiven, from concevoir, concever, from concipere, from con- + capio. Compare deceive, perceive, receive.
to receive into the womb and begin to breed; to begin the formation of the embryo of
to form in the mind; to plan; to devise; to generate; to originate; as, to conceive a purpose, plan, hope
to apprehend by reason or imagination; to take into the mind; to know; to imagine; to comprehend; to understand
to have an embryo or fetus formed in the womb; to breed; to become pregnant
to have a conception, idea, or opinion; think; -- with of
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kon-sēv′, v.t. to receive into and form in the womb: to form in the mind: to imagine or think: to understand: to express.—v.i. to become pregnant: to think.—ns. Conceivabil′ity, Conceiv′ableness.—adj. Conceiv′able, that may be conceived, understood, or believed.—adv. Conceiv′ably.—adj. Conceived′, imagined, thought. [O. Fr. concever—L. concipĕre, conceptum, from con, and capĕre, to take.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'conceive' in Verbs Frequency: #779
The numerical value of conceive in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of conceive in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Images & Illustrations of conceive
Translations for conceive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разбирам, забременявам, замислям, забременея, схващамBulgarian
- koncipovat, formulovat, otěhotnět, vymyslet, počít, chápat, pochopitCzech
- ersinnen, schwanger werden, erdenken, verstehen, empfangen, konzipierenGerman
- gravediĝi, koncipiEsperanto
- käsitama, rasestumaEstonian
- suunnitella, kehitellä, tulla raskaaksi, ymmärtääFinnish
- concevoir, tomber enceinteFrench
- teherbe esik, elképzel, megért, felfogHungarian
- հղիանալ, հղանալArmenian
- 妊娠, 孕む, 思い付く, おめでたJapanese
- concipio, teneoLatin
- whakaira tangataMāori
- zwanger wordenDutch
- забеременеть, беременеть, замышлять, зачать, пониматьRussian
- shvatiti, zamisliti, začetiSerbo-Croatian
- krijoj, mendojAlbanian
- anlamak, yaratmak, hamile kalmak, gebe kalmak, düşünmekTurkish
Get even more translations for conceive »
Find a translation for the conceive definition in other languages:
Select another language: