Definitions for compoundˈkɒm paʊnd, kɒmˈpaʊnd; ˈkɒm paʊnd; kəmˈpaʊnd, ˈkɒm paʊnd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word compound
a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
compound, chemical compound(noun)
(chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
composed of more than one part
"compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts
"soap is a compound substance"; "housetop is a compound word"; "a blackberry is a compound fruit"
composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony
"coral is a colonial organism"
intensify, compound, heighten, deepen(verb)
make more intense, stronger, or more marked
"The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"; "Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"; "This event only deepened my convictions"
put or add together
calculate principal and interest
create by mixing or combining
combine so as to form a whole; mix
"compound the ingredients"
in the East Indies, an inclosure containing a house, outbuildings, etc
to form or make by combining different elements, ingredients, or parts; as, to compound a medicine
to put together, as elements, ingredients, or parts, in order to form a whole; to combine, mix, or unite
to modify or change by combination with some other thing or part; to mingle with something else
to compose; to constitute
to settle amicably; to adjust by agreement; to compromise; to discharge from obligation upon terms different from those which were stipulated; as, to compound a debt
to effect a composition; to come to terms of agreement; to agree; to settle by a compromise; -- usually followed by with before the person participating, and for before the thing compounded or the consideration
composed of two or more elements, ingredients, parts; produced by the union of several ingredients, parts, or things; composite; as, a compound word
that which is compounded or formed by the union or mixture of elements ingredients, or parts; a combination of simples; a compound word; the result of composition
a union of two or more ingredients in definite proportions by weight, so combined as to form a distinct substance; as, water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen
Origin: [OE. compouned, p. p. of compounen. See Compound, v. t.]
In linguistics, a compound is a lexeme that consists of more than one stem. Compounding or composition is the process of word formation that creates compound lexemes. That is, in familiar terms, compounding occurs when two or more words are joined together to make them one word. The meaning of the compound may be very different from the meanings of its components in isolation.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'compound' in Nouns Frequency: #1829
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
All human power is a compound of time and patience.
We compound our suffering by victimizing each other.
A compound that blocks Nav1.7 channels is of particular interest.
No one ever came to me and said we should shut down our compound in Benghazi.
We believed that this was an al Qaeda compound, that no civilians were present.
Images & Illustrations of compound
Translations for compound
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съедине́ние, споразумявам се, оградено мя́сто, съчета́ние, събирам се, добавям, съединявам, сло́жен, съставен, смесвамBulgarian
- sloučenina, složenýCzech
- Mischung, chemische Verbindung, VerbindungGerman
- περίβολος, μίγμα, παρασκευάζω, κράμα, συμμιγής, σύνθετος, ενώνομαι, συνθέτω, συγκρότημα, ένωση, μιγνύω, συμβιβάζω, αναμιγνύω, προσθέτω, συμφωνώGreek
- complejo, compuesto, compuesto químicoSpanish
- مرکب, آمیختن, همساخته, آمیختهPersian
- laitos, yhdistelmä, yhdistyä, lisätä, seos, liittää, yhdiste, yhdistää, kemiallinen yhdiste, liittyäFinnish
- composé, complexe, composer, composé chimiqueFrench
- לשלב, תרכובתHebrew
- vegyülék, elegy, fogolytábor, keverékHungarian
- composto, mettersi d'accordo, comporre, composto chimico, mettere insieme, campo di prigionìa, costituito, unirsi, amalgama, miscuglio, accordarsi, aggiungereItalian
- verbinding, samengesteld, complexDutch
- compor, composto, complexo, composto químico, cercadoPortuguese
- compus chimicRomanian
- собира́ться, сме́шивать, компа́унд, сочета́ние, собра́ться, [[огороженный, соедине́ние, добавля́ть, ко́мплекс, сло́жный, составно́й, соединя́ть, объединя́тьRussian
- logor, kémījskī spȏj, kompleks, taborSerbo-Croatian
- sestaviti, sestavljen, spojinaSlovene
- sätta, kompromissa, inhägnad, sammansättning, förvärra, blanda, försvåra, förlikning, läger, blandning, göra upp, sammansatt, avtal, gård, förening, förlika, bilägga, överenskommelse, sammansatt ämneSwedish
- karışım, bileşimTurkish
- hợp chấtVietnamese
Get even more translations for compound »
Find a translation for the compound definition in other languages:
Select another language: