Definitions for comicˈkɒm ɪk
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word comic
a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts
amusing, comic, comical, funny, laughable, mirthful, risible(adj)
arousing or provoking laughter
"an amusing film with a steady stream of pranks and pratfalls"; "an amusing fellow"; "a comic hat"; "a comical look of surprise"; "funny stories that made everybody laugh"; "a very funny writer"; "it would have been laughable if it hadn't hurt so much"; "a mirthful experience"; "risible courtroom antics"
of or relating to or characteristic of comedy
A cartoon story, a graphic novel
A children's newspaper
related to comedy
Origin: From comicus, from κωμικός, from κῶμος.
relating to comedy, as distinct from tragedy
causing mirth; ludicrous
Origin: [L. comicus pertaining to comedy, Gr. kwmiko`s: cf. F. comique. See Comedy.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kom′ik, adj. relating to comedy: raising mirth: droll.—n. (coll.) an amusing person: (coll.) a comic paper.—adj. Com′ical, funny: queer: ludicrous.—ns. Comical′ity, Com′icalness.—adv. Com′ically.—n. Comique (kō-mēk′), a comic actor or singer. [See Comedy.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
Tragedy viewed from the wings.
The numerical value of comic in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of comic in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.
But of course in this case the rhetoric is so overdone that it has comic overtones.
... everything in nature is lyrical in its ideal essence, tragic in its fate, and comic in its existence.
Pointing out the comic elements of a situation can bring a sense of proportion and perspective to what might otherwise seem an overwhelming problem.
Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh.
Images & Illustrations of comic
Translations for comic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ко́мик, ко́микс, комедиен, комичен, смешенBulgarian
- koomikko, sarjakuva, koominen, komediaFinnish
- comédien, bande dessinée, BD, marrant, drôle, cocasse, comiqueFrench
- greannán, greannmharIrish
- קומי, קומיקאית, קומיקאיHebrew
- banda designate, comicaInterlingua
- striscia, comico, fumetto, giornaletto, giornalinoItalian
- ко́мичар, комедиски, стрип, комиченMacedonian
- komisch, humorist, strip, jeugdkrant, grappig, komiek, stripboek, stripverhaal, kinderkrantDutch
- komik, komiksPolish
- cartum, história em quadrinhos, comediante, historinha, cômico, humorista, história de quadrinhos, banda desenhada, engraçado, divertidoPortuguese
- комический, комедийный, смешной, ко́мик, комичный, эксце́нтрик, ко́миксRussian
- kòmičan, smijéšanSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for comic »
Find a translation for the comic definition in other languages:
Select another language: