Definitions for charityˈtʃær ɪ ti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word charity
a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals)
charity, brotherly love(noun)
a kindly and lenient attitude toward people
an activity or gift that benefits the public at large
Jacob's ladder, Greek valerian, charity, Polemonium caeruleum, Polemonium van-bruntiae, Polymonium caeruleum van-bruntiae(noun)
pinnate-leaved European perennial having bright blue or white flowers
an institution set up to provide help to the needy
Christian love; representing God's love of man, man's love of God, or man's love of his fellow-men.
In general, an attitude of kindness and understanding towards others, now especially suggesting generosity.
Judge thyself with the judgment of sincerity, and thou will judge others with the judgment of charity. uE000163396uE001 John Mitchell Mason
Benevolence to others less fortunate than ourselves; the providing of goods or money to those in need.
The goods or money given to those in need.
An organization, the objective of which is to carry out a charitable purpose.
Origin: From charity in the biblical sense of Christian love; first used by Puritans. In early Christian tradition, Faith, Hope and Charity were the martyred daughters of Saint Sophia. The names, taken from 1 Corinthians 13:13 (And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity) have been translated and used in many languages.
love; universal benevolence; good will
liberality in judging of men and their actions; a disposition which inclines men to put the best construction on the words and actions of others
liberality to the poor and the suffering, to benevolent institutions, or to worthy causes; generosity
whatever is bestowed gratuitously on the needy or suffering for their relief; alms; any act of kindness
a charitable institution, or a gift to create and support such an institution; as, Lady Margaret's charity
eleemosynary appointments [grants or devises] including relief of the poor or friendless, education, religious culture, and public institutions
In Christian theology charity, latin caritas, is by Thomas Aquinas understood as "the friendship of man for God", which "unites us to God". He holds it as "the most excellent of the virtues". Further, Aquinas holds that "the habit of charity extends not only to the love of God, but also to the love of our neighbor". Some delineate charity to mean only benevolent giving, while others, such as Roman Catholics, have multiple interrelated meanings.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A thing that begins at home, and usually stays there. 2. Bracing up Ralph Waldo Emerson's reputation by attributing to him literary mousetraps which he should have made, but didn't. (See Cheese.)
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'charity' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2911
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'charity' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2981
Rank popularity for the word 'charity' in Nouns Frequency: #1026
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of charity
Translations for charity
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- إحسان, صدقةArabic
- благотворителна организация, милосърдие, благотворителностBulgarian
- charita, dobročinnostCzech
- Wohltätigkeitsorganisation, Nächstenliebe, WohltätigkeitGerman
- καλοσύνη, αγαθοεργία, φιλανθρωπίαGreek
- entidad benéfica, amor al prójimo, caridadSpanish
- صدقه, خیراتPersian
- hyväntekeväisyys, armeliaisuus, hyväntekeväisyysjärjestöFinnish
- góðgerðarstofnun, góðgerðarstarfsemiIcelandic
- carità, ente di beneficenza, organizzazione beneficaItalian
- 慈善, 자선Korean
- добротворност, добротворен прилог, добротворна организација, милосрдиеMacedonian
- naastenliefde, liefdadigheid, liefdadigheidsinstellingDutch
- caridade, doação, [[instituição]] [[de]] [[caridade]]Portuguese
- богадельня, милостыня, благотворительность, милосердие, благотворительное обществоRussian
- dobrodavanje, dobrodavstvo, dobrodavatiSerbo-Croatian
- välgörenhet, välgörenhetsorganisation, välgSwedish
Get even more translations for charity »
Find a translation for the charity definition in other languages:
Select another language: