a prominent attribute or aspect of something
"the map showed roads and other features"; "generosity is one of his best characteristics"
a distinguishing quality
the integer part (positive or negative) of the representation of a logarithm; in the expression log 643 = 2.808 the characteristic is 2
characteristic, device characteristic(adj)
any measurable property of a device measured under closely specified conditions
typical or distinctive
"heard my friend's characteristic laugh"; "red and gold are the characteristic colors of autumn"; "stripes characteristic of the zebra"
a distinguishable feature of a person or thing
the integer part of a logarithm
the distinguishing features of a navigational light on a lighthouse etc by which it can be identified (colour, pattern of flashes etc)
The minimum number of times that the unit of a field must be added unto itself in order to yield that field's zero, or, if that minimum natural number does not exist, then (the integer) zero.
being a distinguishing feature of a person or thing
Origin: From χαρακτηριστικός, from χαρακτηρίζω, from χαρακτήρ.
pertaining to, or serving to constitute, the character; showing the character, or distinctive qualities or traits, of a person or thing; peculiar; distinctive
a distinguishing trait, quality, or property; an element of character; that which characterized
the integral part (whether positive or negative) of a logarithm
Origin: [Gr. : cf. F. charactristique.]
In mathematics, the characteristic of a ring R, often denoted char, is defined to be the smallest number of times one must use the ring's multiplicative identity element in a sum to get the additive identity element; the ring is said to have characteristic zero if this repeated sum never reaches the additive identity. That is, char is the smallest positive number n such that if such a number n exists, and 0 otherwise. The characteristic may also be taken to be the exponent of the ring's additive group, that is, the smallest positive n such that for every element a of the ring. Some authors do not include the multiplicative identity element in their requirements for a ring, and this definition is suitable for that convention; otherwise the two definitions are equivalent due to the distributive law in rings.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'characteristic' in Nouns Frequency: #904
Rank popularity for the word 'characteristic' in Adjectives Frequency: #691
The numerical value of characteristic in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of characteristic in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
If every age has its own characteristic doctrine, there are a thousand signs which point to Fascism as the characteristic doctrine of our time.
Acceptance without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western religion, rejection without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western science.
Daesh's characteristic is that it is man-eating. It swallows its competitors, here, it is not physical presence of people from Syria or Iraq. It is the network effect.
They not only look for things to do. They look for things to do that are work related, for me, it plays into a national characteristic of being busy, being productive and improving yourself.
It is the characteristic excellence of the strong man that he can bring momentous issues to the fore and make a decision about them. The weak are always forced to decide between alternatives they have not chosen themselves.
Images & Illustrations of characteristic
Translations for characteristic
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- صفة, مميزArabic
- отличителна черта, отличителен, характеренBulgarian
- característica, característicCatalan, Valencian
- vlastnost, charakteristický, charakteristikaCzech
- karakteristikon, kendemærke, karakteristikum, karakteristikDanish
- bezeichnend, Eigenschaft, kennzeichnend, Charakteristik, Kennwert, Kenngröße, typisch, Merkmal, Eigenart, charakteristischGerman
- χαρακτηριστικό, χαρακτηριστικόςGreek
- karakteriza, karakteriziloEsperanto
- característica, característicoSpanish
- tuntomerkki, tunnusomainen, karakteristika, ominainen, luonteenomainen, erityispiirre, tunnusmerkkiFinnish
- característico, característicaGalician
- proprajo, distingiva, traito, karakteristiko, karakteriziva, karakterizivoIdo
- caratteristica, caratteristicoItalian
- 特性, 特徴Japanese
- trekje, idiosyncratisch, kenmerkend, karakteristiekDutch
- cecha, charakterystycznyPolish
- característico, característicaPortuguese
- caracteristică, caracteristicRomanian
- характеристика, характе́рный, отличительная черта, черта, отличи́тельный, типи́чный, характерная черта, особенностьRussian
- osobina, značajkaSerbo-Croatian
- kännetecknande, karakteristikum, karakteristisk, karakteristikSwedish
Get even more translations for characteristic »
Find a translation for the characteristic definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these characteristic definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"characteristic." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 20 Oct. 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/characteristic>.