Definitions for chafetʃeɪf
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word chafe
soreness and warmth caused by friction
"he had a nasty chafe on his knee"
annoyance, chafe, vexation(verb)
anger produced by some annoying irritation
chafe, gall, fret(verb)
become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
feel extreme irritation or anger
"He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation"
annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil(verb)
cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
"Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading
"This leash chafes the dog's neck"
rub, fray, fret, chafe, scratch(verb)
"my sweater scratches"
warm by rubbing, as with the hands
Heat excited by friction.
Injury or wear caused by friction.
Vexation; irritation of mind; rage.
To excite heat in by friction; to rub in order to stimulate and make warm.
To excite passion or anger in; to fret; to irritate.
To fret and wear by rubbing; as, to chafe a cable.
To rub; to come together so as to wear by rubbing; to wear by friction.
To be worn by rubbing; as, a cable chafes.
To have a feeling of vexation; to be vexed; to fret; to be irritated.
Origin: chaufen, from chaufer (modern French chauffer), from calefacio, calfacio, from caleo + facio. See caldron.
to excite heat in by friction; to rub in order to stimulate and make warm
to excite passion or anger in; to fret; to irritate
to fret and wear by rubbing; as, to chafe a cable
to rub; to come together so as to wear by rubbing; to wear by friction
to be worn by rubbing; as, a cable chafes
to have a feeling of vexation; to be vexed; to fret; to be irritated
heat excited by friction
injury or wear caused by friction
vexation; irritation of mind; rage
Chafe is a crater on Mars named after Chafe in Zamfara State, Nigeria. The crater was designated in 1988, is 4.8 kilometres in diameter and is located at 15.3ºN 257.7ºW, Amenthes Region, Quadrangle MC14.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
chāf, v.t. to make hot by rubbing: to fret or wear by rubbing: to cause to fret or rage (with against, at).—v.i. to fret or rage.—n. heat caused by rubbing: rage: passion.—ns. Chaf′er (obs.), a chafing-dish, a saucepan; Chaf′ing-dish, a dish or vessel in which anything is made hot: a kind of portable grate; Chaf′ing-gear, mats, spun-yarn, battens, &c., put upon the rigging and spars of a ship to prevent their being chafed. [Fr. chauffer—L. calefacĕre—calēre, to be hot, and facĕre, to make.]
The numerical value of chafe in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of chafe in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Desire nothing, Chafe not at fate, nor at Nature's changeless laws. But struggle only with the personal, the transitory, the evanescent and the perishable.
Images & Illustrations of chafe
Translations for chafe
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- търкам, протривам, горещя, ожулване, разразнение, дразня, протриване, трияBulgarian
- durchscheuern, reiben, scheuern, Schürfwunde, verschleißenGerman
- escocimiento, escocer, irritar, irritaciónSpanish
- hiertymä, hankauma, hangata, ärsytys, ärsyttää, hankautua, ärsyyntyäFinnish
- vexer, chauffer en frictionnant, inflammation, colère, abrasion, énervement, irriterFrench
- 摩擦, 擦過傷Japanese
- hotu, mōhanihani, pākanikaniMāori
- schaafwonde, pijnlijke ruwe plek, afslijten, schuren, irriteren, vervelen, opgewarmd door wrijving, ergernis, woede, ergeren, opwinden, verslijtenDutch
- enraivecer, desgastar, irritar-se, esfolamento, friccionar, atritar, raivaPortuguese
- ссадина, досада, гнев, натирать, тереться, протираться, горячиться, злиться, раздражаться, потёртость, раздражение, недовольство, натереть, тереть, дразнить, протеретьсяRussian
- skavsår, skavSwedish
Get even more translations for chafe »
Find a translation for the chafe definition in other languages:
Select another language: