Definitions for cannibalˈkæn ə bəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word cannibal
cannibal, man-eater, anthropophagus, anthropophagite(noun)
a person who eats human flesh
An organism which eats others of its own species.
Origin: From Cannibalis, from Caniba, the Taíno form recorded by Christopher Columbus for the Caribs, who were greatly feared.
a human being that eats human flesh; hence, any that devours its own kind
relating to cannibals or cannibalism
Origin: [Cf. F. cannibale. Columbus, in a letter to the Spanish monarchs written in Oct., 1498, mentions that the people of Haiti lived in great fear of the Caribales (equivalent to E. Caribbees.), the inhabitants of the smaller Antilles; which form of the name was afterward changed into NL. Canibales, in order to express more forcibly their character by a word intelligible through a Latin root propter rabiem caninam anthropophagorum gentis. The Caribbees call themselves, in their own language. Calinago, Carinago, Calliponam, and, abbreviated, Calina, signifying a brave, from which Columbus formed his Caribales.]
Cannibal is the fifth studio album by Static-X, released on April 3, 2007. This is the first album from the band to contain guitar solos; every song with the exception of "Goat" has one. This is an album of firsts for the band, being the first album without an "otsego" song included, and the first album to feature the same line-up as the album preceding it. Additionally, it's the first Static-X album since Machine to have three singles released from it.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The conceiver and first practitioner of the eucharistic rite. 2. A place where a missionary may have a hell of a time. 3. A Pierrot whose pranks are side-splitting. 4. One who appreciates his fellow-being at his true worth. 5. The most subtle of living ironists. 6. Any one who takes his brother man at his physical valuation.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A heathen hobo who never works, but lives on other people.
Translations for cannibal
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- caníbalCatalan, Valencian
- kanibal, lidožrout, lidojedCzech
- Kannibale, KannibalinGerman
- kanibalo, virkanibalo, kanibalinoEsperanto
- ihmissyöjä, kannibaaliFinnish
- kanibalo, kanibalino, kanibaluloIdo
- cannibale, antropofagoItalian
- kanibal, ludożercaPolish
- canibală, canibalRomanian
- людоед, каннибалRussian
- kànibal, људождер, канибал, ljudòžderSerbo-Croatian
- kaniban, hikaniban, jikanibanVolapük
Get even more translations for cannibal »
Find a translation for the cannibal definition in other languages:
Select another language: