Definitions for calmness
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
calm*kɑm; older kæm; spelling pron. kɑlm(adj.; n.; v.)calm•er, calm•est
(adj.)without rough motion; still or nearly still:
a calm sea.
a calm day.
free from excitement or passion; tranquil:
a calm manner.
(n.)freedom from motion or disturbance; stillness.
wind speed of less than 1 mph (0.447 m/sec).
freedom from agitation or excitement; tranquillity.
(v.t.)to make calm.
(v.i.)to become calm (usu. fol. by down).
* Syn: calm , collected , composed , cool imply the absence of agitation. calm implies an unruffled state in the midst of disturbance all around: He remained calm throughout the crisis. collected implies complete command of one's thoughts, feelings, and behavior, usu. as a result of effort: The witness was remarkably collected during questioning. composed implies inner peace and dignified self-possession: pale but composed. cool implies clarity of judgment and absence of strong feeling or excitement: cool in the face of danger.
Origin of calm:
1350–1400; ME calm(e) < It calma (n.), calmo (adj.) < LL cauma summer heat
composure, calm, calmness, equanimity(noun)
steadiness of mind under stress
"he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity"
an absence of strong winds or rain
a feeling of calm; an absence of agitation or excitement
The state of being calm; tranquillity; silence.
The product of being calm.
the state of quality of being calm; quietness; tranquillity; self-repose
Translations for calmness
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to make calm
- هُدوء، سُكونArabic
- calmaPortuguese (BR)
- ticho, klidCzech
- die RuheGerman
- ro; sindsligevægtDanish
- ηρεμία, ψυχραιμίαGreek
- tranquilidad, calmaSpanish
- שָׁלווָה, רוֹגָעHebrew
- mir, tišinaCroatian
- kyrrð, róIcelandic
- calma, tranquillitàItalian
- 고요, 차분Korean
- tylumas, ramumasLithuanian
- mierīgums; rāmumsLatvian
- ro, sinnsro; stillhetNorwegian
- спокойствие; тишинаRussian
- stillhet, ro, lugnSwedish
- sakinlik, soğukkanlılıkTurkish
- 鎮靜Chinese (Trad.)
- тиша, спокійUkrainian
- sự bình tĩnhVietnamese
- 镇静Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for calmness »