Definitions for calculatorˈkæl kyəˌleɪ tər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word calculator
calculator, reckoner, figurer, estimator, computer(noun)
an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
calculator, calculating machine(noun)
a small machine that is used for mathematical calculations
A mechanical or electronic device that performs mathematical calculations.
A person who performs mathematical calculation
A person who calculates (in the sense of scheming).
A set of mathematical tables.
one who computes or reckons: one who estimates or considers the force and effect of causes, with a view to form a correct estimate of the effects
Origin: [L.: cf. F. calculateur.]
An electronic calculator is a small, portable, often inexpensive electronic device used to perform both basic and complex operations of arithmetic. The first solid state electronic calculator was created in the 1960s, building on the extensive history of tools such as the abacus, developed around 2000 BC; and the mechanical calculator, developed in the 17th century. It was developed in parallel with the analog computers of the day. Pocket sized devices became available in the 1970s, especially after the invention of the microprocessor developed by Intel for the Japanese calculator company Busicom. Modern electronic calculators vary from cheap, give-away, credit-card sized models to sturdy desktop models with built-in printers. They became popular in the mid-1970s as integrated circuits made their size and cost small. By the end of that decade, calculator prices had reduced to a point where a basic calculator was affordable to most and they became common in schools. Computer operating systems as far back as early Unix have included interactive calculator programs such as dc and hoc, and calculator functions are included in almost all PDA-type devices.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
Syn. for bitty box.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'calculator' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3772
The numerical value of calculator in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of calculator in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Generally, the more questions asked by a net price calculator, the more accurate the results.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1 1
They wanted the same sort of deal as Mercedes and some money. So we tried to work it out. We got a calculator and worked out what nine years would be, what we've done for them is not anything that we need to do, or had to, but we've done it to try and be helpful and keep Renault in Formula One. Our agreement is with Renault and not with Lotus.
Images & Illustrations of calculator
Translations for calculator
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- آلة حاسبةArabic
- сметачна машина, изчислител, калкулаторBulgarian
- calculadoraCatalan, Valencian
- kalkulátor, kalkulačkaCzech
- Rechner, TaschenrechnerGerman
- κομπιουτεράκι, αριθμομηχανήGreek
- calculador, calculadoraSpanish
- kalkulaator, taskuarvutiEstonian
- ماشین حسابPersian
- laskuri, taulukko, laskija, laskin, laskelmoija, laskukoneFinnish
- calculette, calculatriceFrench
- bûsrekkenmasine, rekkenmasineWestern Frisian
- àireamhairScottish Gaelic
- טבלת חישובים, מחשבון, מונהHebrew
- mesin hitung, kalkulatorIndonesian
- calcolatrice, calcolatoreItalian
- 計算機, 計算者, 電卓, 計算表Japanese
- 계산기, 計算機Korean
- skaičiuotuvas, kalkuliatoriusLithuanian
- дигитрон, сметач, калкулаторMacedonian
- mesin kira, kalkulatorMalay
- calculator, berekenaar, rekentoestel, planner, zakrekenmachine, rekenmachineDutch
- calculadora, calculistaPortuguese
- chintader, calculatour, quintader, calculader, calculaturRomansh
- calculator, tabele, mașină de calculat, computere, calculatoare, computerRomanian
- таблица, расчётчик, таблицы расчётов, калькулятор, арифмометр, вычислительная машина, счётчик, счётная машинаRussian
- računar, рачунар, računalo, рачуналоSerbo-Croatian
- računalo, kalkulatorSlovene
- räknare, miniräknare, kalkylatorSwedish
- hesap makinesiTurkish
- máy tính cầm tayVietnamese
Get even more translations for calculator »
Find a translation for the calculator definition in other languages:
Select another language: